Stop at lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That may be so, however if I am going 15-20mph in rush hour traffic and have a lorry behind me and the light turns amber as I get to the line, no way can I safely stop, especially if the roads are wet! Me being squashed by the following lorry would hardly be fair on either me or him ;)

That scenario is legal though, because you have gone over the line just as the light has changed to AMBER, not red, and it was clearly not safe to stop for the amber light.

vickster

Legendary Member
Exactly, I do not cross the line if the light is red...

Crankarm

Guru
Five pages of debate, and so far only one or two contributors have been brave enough to put their head above the parapet and admitted to jumping red lights. So I will admit, I DO jump red lights, where I take the decision that it is perfectly safe to do so.

First off, there are red lights, and there are RED LIGHTS, whether all the holier than thou brigade like it or not. Yes I do know what the law says; I was a Police Officer for 20 years. That was when I learned that most Police Officers do have some common sense, which means that if you also use some common sense about traffic lights then you are most unlikely to incur the wrath of the law.
What I am getting at is this. If you go speeding through a red light in the centre of London during the rush hour, then you deserve all that is heading your way. If on the other hand, you are cycling past the entrance to my local Tesco at 3am and find the traffic lights at red, then what is the point in interrupting your rhythm? There is zero traffic around, and Tescos is closed at that time, so why are the stupid lights not switched off (they were only installed when the Tesco car park was built. Let's not forget the unnecessary CO2 being produced by having the lights on, and this for a company that claims to have an environmentally friendly policy).

Are you all seriously trying to tell me that if you come across a red light at a pedestrian crossing, on a quiet street with no traffic, where the pedestrians have quite clearly already made their way across, that you are going to stop and wait for the light to go to green? Funny how I see cyclists quite sensibly going through such red lights on a daily basis; yet the vast majority of contributors to this thread deny that they have ever done it, and consider it a hanging offence.

To summarise; use a slice of common sense when CAREFULLY negotiating through red lights and you will be safe. If there is ANY chance of coming into conflict with other road users then don't do it. Before anyone asks, yes I drive, and I wouldn't RLJ in a car. This is for 2 reasons: On a cycle you have a far better line of sight as to what is approaching from other directions; and you don't have an endorsable licence for riding a bike.

Indeed. Or a registration plate to be read by cameras that have been installed at certain traffic lights to catch RLJing motorists.

He is giving a deliberate confrontational and argumentative reply to the posts , it is designed to provoke a reaction , it is also designed to belittle people , it`s bullying and anti social , wake up .

I honestly was not attempting to belittle anyone. The question was, Stop at lights? I sometimes don't, fact. My reason, 'cos I don't feel I have too.

If you feel bullied by my lack of social etiquette, oh well.

Cunobelin called him a muppet, not the other way around
Actually I didn't what I said was

It appears that you both drive and cycle like a muppet!

How do you describe someone who claims they speed, use the mobile phone whilst driving and deliberately endangers others?

I honestly was not attempting to belittle anyone. The question was, Stop at lights? I sometimes don't, fact. My reason, 'cos I don't feel I have too.

If you feel bullied by my lack of social etiquette, oh well.

Lack of respect for the safety of other road users, this is not social etiquette, but a decision to drive and cycle in a manner that endangers the safety of others.

Dan B

Disengaged member
How do you describe someone who claims they speed, use the mobile phone whilst driving and deliberately endangers others?
I didn't see anyone claiming that they deliberately endanger others. Let's be sensible here: the laws regarding speed limits and use of handheld mobile while driving were both created to address a real problem (in the latter case, address it rather badly given that hands-free is just as dangerous and not covered by the legislation) but it is still possible to drive faster than the speed limit (e.g. on a deserted motorway at 3am)/use a mobile phone (e.g. while stopped in a three mile tailback) without causing either of those problems and in a way which, were it not illegal, no reasonable person could possibly have a problem with. I'm not saying that either are bad laws or that they shouldn't be obeyed, but it still doesn't follow that breaking them is axiomatically dangerous.

I have always stopped at red lights until my local bridge (Honeybourne railway) became traffic light controlled for the first time last year. I guess the default is both on red, I cannot trip the lights to green, I always stop and wait and listen for a minute then go. Even if I have a green/amber as I cross the opposing cars will come at me, but as there is plenty of room it's not an issue, in fact I am not sure why they put lights on this bridge at all as there is room for a Bus and car to pass.
I appreciate this is illegal but the only way is to wait till a car going your way trips the sensors.
Any thoughts?

tadpole

A child riding slowly on the pavement beside a busy dual carriageway would be perfectly eligible for a fine, criteria notwithstanding. That's still what the law says, the criteria merely form advice from the people who made it on when to pay attention to it
No, sorry, but the law is clear, the police cannot issue FPNs to anyone under the age of 16.

Top Bottom