Stop At Red campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Speeding is safer nowadays as cars are more powerful and have better brakes! :biggrin:

Jaded

andyfromotley said:
i'm not sure i agree with you there jaded. I think speeding was as bad, if not more prevelant 20 years ago, than it is today.

Disagree away.

I'll bet if you did put police out there on the roads in the same places as speed traps 20 years ago the proportion of drivers caught would be higher (and the sound of whinging would be much louder).

Tharg2007

Veteran
domtyler said:
Speeding is safer nowadays as cars are more powerful and have better brakes! :biggrin:

yes I've actually heard someone seriously trying to use that argument, crazy, maybe that's what the problem is, the country is awash with simpletons!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There is some serious hypocrisy here, then again those there is also a serious lack of thinking from certain members here. Perceptions count, you cant change behaviour without changing perceptions first. If cyclist want to get a better deal then it is important the majority of the public support them, one way is to make a positive effort to put their own house in order first. Hypocrisy stinks...

hackbike 6

andyfromotley said:
Why on earth should i care what motorists stewing in their little boxes think????

Missed the point as usual.technically i dont give a monkies but as these people are driving a ton of metal or more and half the time they arent concentrating i want them to respect me for what i am.a cyclist trying to set an example.just the other week i had some comedian use his car aggresively against me as i wasnt to amused how appaling his driving was while using a mobile phone.

domtyler

Über Member
Hairy Jock said:
There is some serious hypocrisy here, then again those there is also a serious lack of thinking from certain members here. Perceptions count, you cant change behaviour without changing perceptions first. If cyclist want to get a better deal then it is important the majority of the public support them, one way is to make a positive effort to put their own house in order first. Hypocrisy stinks...

1) This campaign will not change the numbers of cyclists that red light in any significant way.

2) The only people who sign up are likely to already not jump lights

3) It provides ammunition to the anti-cycling lobby

4) It will focus attention on RLJ even more and actually decrease public perception of cycling

Therefore this campaign is self defeating and negative, highly unlikely to succeed in it's stated aims.

domtyler

Über Member
hackbike 6 said:
Missed the point as usual.technically i dont give a monkies but as these people are driving a ton of metal or more and half the time they arent concentrating i want them to respect me for what i am.a cyclist trying to set an example.just the other week i had some comedian use his car aggresively against me as i wasnt to amused how appaling his driving was while using a mobile phone.

Go careful out there Hackers, we need you man!

Jaded

domtyler said:
1) This campaign will not change the numbers of cyclists that red light in any significant way.

2) The only people who sign up are likely to already not jump lights

3) It provides ammunition to the anti-cycling lobby

4) It will focus attention on RLJ even more and actually decrease public perception of cycling

Therefore this campaign is self defeating and negative, highly unlikely to succeed in it's stated aims.

Agreed.

nethalus

Twenty Inch said:
Dom, if you keep posting as sensibly as that, I'll have to take you off my ignore list. Plus I note that you ride a fixie too.

People RLJ to stay safe. Make the roads safer, and the driving better, and people won't need to RLJ. Wrong campaign.

How does going through a red light make you stay safe? As one cyclist in Leeds found out a couple of years ago its not very wise. He went through on red and ended up under a double decker bus that was going through on a green light. His stupidity and impatience caused him to shuffle off his mortal coil! Red light jumping is dangerous no matter what mode of transport you are using, and cyclists should remember that they are more vulnerable as they don't have a big metal cage surrounding them.

hackbike 6

2 Stops at a safe point around lights, sometimes over the white line, sometimes behind it

Stop at a tactical point around the traffic lights..so allowing motorcyclists and other cyclists to get out of the blind spot of a lorry behind possibly and also to prevent left/right hooks on left hand/right hand turns.

Tharg2007

Veteran
spandex said:
+1

But +2 some times if there is no room in the green box (if there is one) because of cars I Will go in front of them and head of slowly when its green. Thats the mane reason Ill go over the line.

hehe i do that too, as punishment :smile:

Top Bottom