Stop At Red campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Is it just to clamp down on cyclists or does it address bad behaviour from car drivers, motorbikes etc.?

OP
OP
R

Robster

domtyler said:
Is it just to clamp down on cyclists or does it address bad behaviour from car drivers, motorbikes etc.?

Its not a "clamp down" its a campaign started by cyclists to:
"improve the status of cycling in the eyes of the public and policy-makers alike, and to tackle the attitudes of those cyclists whose behaviour perpetuates the image of cyclists as a low-status social 'out-group' on wheels."

A lot of other road user's think of cyclists as an annoyance who don't think the rules apply to them, and it really annoys me when I see other cyclists perpetuating that stereotype.

domtyler

Über Member
Robster said:
Its not a "clamp down" its a campaign started by cyclists to:
"improve the status of cycling in the eyes of the public and policy-makers alike, and to tackle the attitudes of those cyclists whose behaviour perpetuates the image of cyclists as a low-status social 'out-group' on wheels."

Hmmm, it sounds incredibly negative to me. I would much prefer to see a general promotion of cycling and its benefits rather than focus peoples attention on the bad behaviour of a minority. Is this actually set up and run by cyclists or by motorists I wonder? :biggrin:

Trillian

yes dom, while it would be good to be promoting cycling, we'll do a better job by cleaning up our own camp as it were then we're able to complain about bad driving and be taken seriously.

domtyler

Über Member
Trillian said:
yes dom, while it would be good to be promoting cycling, we'll do a better job by cleaning up our own camp as it were then we're able to complain about bad driving and be taken seriously.

How many red light jumping cyclists do you think are going to sign up to this 'campaign'?

I venture that none whatsoever will. Therefore the overall effect is a negative one as not one persons behaviour will have changed but you will have focussed attention on a common prejudice. Totally self defeating is you ask me.

Tharg2007

Veteran
yes, its all a bit general really. The cyclists that are likely to join this group would probably stop at red lights anyway. Referring to the bad image cyclist give to the public (assume driving public) will only serve to perpetuate and spread the notion that all cyclists are red light jumpers to a wider audience.

Also from what i see on the roads the MAJORITY of drivers will jump a red light even if it is a just an amber/orange situation where they speed up on the sight of orange and pass the line just on the turn of red. This campaign would seem to generate a hypocritical view amongst the public.

davidtq

domtyler said:
How many red light jumping cyclists do you think are going to sign up to this 'campaign'?

I venture that none whatsoever will. Therefore the overall effect is a negative one as not one persons behaviour will have changed but you will have focussed attention on a common prejudice. Totally self defeating is you ask me.

Quite the defeatest..

Ive seen people on cycling forums who have said they HAVE changed their cycling behaviour due to forum posts, although Ive never been a rlj'er myself Ive certainly taken on board posts Ive seen on the forums, and where I read stuff that makes sense adapted my behaviour accordingly. I have specfically seen forum users say they have stopped RLJing as a result of forum posts.

Not all RLJ'ers are rabid zealots to their cause, some are capable of changeing if they are pointed in the "right" direction

domtyler said:

I don't think it is about changing behaviour but changing perceptions. A significant proportion of road users do perceive cyclists as anarchistic tree huggers, who flout any rule that gets in their way. I think this website is aiming to show that not all cyclists are like this and that all road users should be assumed to be law abiding until observed otherwise.

That said, the website looks amateurish and has limited detail and content. It will also not attract the attention of the very people who's perceptions need adjusting. (Watch it mate or I'll give your perception a good adjusting....:biggrin:)

Respect is a two way street and we must be shown to be tackling poor cycling at the same time as bad driving.

davidtq

I should probably note that I myself am far too lazy to be signing up for this :biggrin: I will probably stick to minding my own cycling and let the "campaigners" do their thing.

Dom, if you keep posting as sensibly as that, I'll have to take you off my ignore list. Plus I note that you ride a fixie too.

People RLJ to stay safe. Make the roads safer, and the driving better, and people won't need to RLJ. Wrong campaign.

OP
OP
R

Robster

I would have thought that the more cyclists who pledge support for Stop At Red the more it demonstrates that cyclists who don't follow the rules are in a minority.

davidtq

Twenty Inch said:
Dom, if you keep posting as sensibly as that, I'll have to take you off my ignore list. Plus I note that you ride a fixie too.

People RLJ to stay safe. Make the roads safer, and the driving better, and people won't need to RLJ. Wrong campaign.

Ive heard RLJ'ers claim safety reasons many times but the actual RLJing Ive seen done doesnt seem to be any safer than legal methods of cycling...

I dont see how this cyclist RLJ'ing was any safer than my method of using the junction.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUHGSh52bQ

Thats the sort of RLJ'ing I see.

hackbike 6

Twenty Inch said:

eh?

Crap.

The RLJing I see is just a blatant disregard of traffic lights and sod everyone else.I find other peoples cycling frustrating when they do this,god know what motorists think while they are stewing in their little boxes.

Top Bottom