Stopping and helping a fellow cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I most recently stopped last summer to help 2 middle aged mums who had borrowed their teenage lads' MTBs, one had derailed the chain and jammed it between BB and inner chain ring. That was just a case of prising it out with a multi tool and brute force, and it ruined some latex gloves, but it saved them a long walk and they were glad I could sort it.

I often stop for water and to admire a view, and a lot of the time I get a shout of "All okay mate?" as another rider goes by, so it looks like cyclists are still a friendly sister/brotherhood overall who will watch out for each other. That's really nice to know, most motorists wouldn't dream of stopping for another stranded motorist.

Is amazing the number of people that go out with no tubes, no tools etc then rely on the kindness of others!
I'm not sure they'll have considered that something might go wrong, cycling's a simple pleasure and they likely just never had a problem before. I'd wager that once they've had that help once, they'll be very likely to want to self help in future. It's nice to be helped, but you can feel a bit of a lemon for missing the required means to fix, in my experience anyway! 😄
(A 16 year old me, horrible wet day, repeated punctures, not enough patches, and no spare tube since you ask). 😒 We live and learn!

Last edited:
You do doncha, stop and offer to help that is. I can't imagine passing a (lone) cyclist without offering, it'd haunt you for the rest of your days wouldn't it?
No it wouldn't. There are worse crimes in life, give yourself a break!

I once had a run of flats on my commute - no bu99er stopped. I was slightly surprised, but I didn't spend the day wishing firey death on the blinkered and their loves ones. Maybe they were having a worse day than me, or had no tools/knowledge, who knows??

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I always check. Once got a guy with his rear mech in bits trying to fix a noise from his back wheel. Turned out he was German and had the noise before he left home.:wacko: Could see nothing wrong so left him to get on his way advising him to find a bike shop.
Recently out on my trike I was the only person who stopped at a woman with a flat tyre on her car and standing looking disconsolate. She had in fact phoned for help but remarked that no passing motorists had stopped.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you'd been in your car, would you have donated a spare tube?
I might have had a go at changing the wheel if there was a spare. I also have tyre sealant which I have seen working on other people's cars. Personally I would never buy a car with no spare so the sealant is only an emergency item.
I have loaned tubes to other club members in the past but some are a bit slow to return a new tube. I always have at least two tubes with me anyway.

yello

I didn't spend the day wishing firey death on the blinkered and their loves ones. Maybe they were having a worse day than me, or had no tools/knowledge, who knows??

yebbut that's the other side of the equation innit?

As the injured party, I wouldn't expect anyone to stop either (though it'd obviously be nice) and I wouldn't think the worse of anyone for not helping me because, as you say, what do I know of their circumstances?

However, as an able bodied cyclist with time on my hands and a seat pack of tools, tubes and patches, I know exactly my circumstances and it'd haunt me to not at least ask if help was needed. Yes there are worse crimes in life but I don't commit those either :laugh:

Dwn

Do they? Or do they just accept they will push and/or lock the bike somewhere and get a taxi/bus/train home in the unlikely event of a problem?
I’m better prepared now, but 30 years ago I went out for all day cycles to areas with poor public transport and didn’t take as much as a pump. It never really occurred to me that I might have a problem, and I can’t say that I ever did. I didn’t expect anyone to fix my problems - I just didn’t think I’d have any.

My experience is that if you have a problem during the week then passing cyclists will generally stop to help, or at least ask if you need any.
Weekend cyclists don't. They, I presume, are the wannabe Chris Froomes who are in work all week and stopping to help someone interferes with their all important training plan/cafe rendevous.
Same with greetings to passing cyclists. Weekenders seem loathe to take their eyes off their powermeters.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I always try to help when i can. Unless youre the sort that demands i "give you" my tools... I came across a guy one night when riding home from work (between the hrs of 8-9pm) who asked me about an Allen key then demanded i give it to him so he could take it home and fix the brakes on his other bike with it because the shops were all closed at that time of night. :stop:

The absolute nerve. They didnt offer to buy it off me either so i buggered off. (Crankbrothers M19)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I always stop to offer unless I'm in a real proper hurry (rare).

I've had people stop and help me too :smile:

But as an aside, I was reminded the other day of a super effective way of getting dirty oil stains off of your skin, after mechanical work..

Vegetable oil - of any sort , rub it in well, and the ingrained black oil stains just lift right off and then all you need is soap and hot water to wash off both...:okay:

Top Bottom