Straight vs curved forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Assuming there's little or no difference in the rake, is there any difference beyond the aesthetic - in handling, for example? I'm not talking about aero forks - I was going to get a curved carbon road fork but I've just found a straight version of the same one on Ebay for a lot less money.

Thanks!

Norm

Depending on the location of the axle lugs, straight forks have less trail and are therefore, less stable or more responsive (two sides of the same coin).

There's all sorts of other things, like castor effect or the impact on steering (again, more trail means more castor effect means more liable to hold a straight line - think shopping trolleys) but I don't think those would be very noticeable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Norm said:
Depending on the location of the axle lugs, straight forks have less trail and are therefore, less stable or more responsive (two sides of the same coin).

There's all sorts of other things, like castor effect or the impact on steering (again, more trail means more castor effect means more liable to hold a straight line - think shopping trolleys) but I don't think those would be very noticeable.

Errr, maybe...

As long as the axle position relative to the steerer tube is the same, then it matter not one jot the shape of the carbon between the two (curved or Straight) as far as steering and handling is concerned, it's only aesthetics.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
As long as the axle position relative to the steerer tube is the same, then it matter not one jot the shape of the carbon between the two (curved or Straight) as far as steering and handling is concerned, it's only aesthetics.
Quite, the geometry is only dependent on the relative positions of the key components.

However, straight forks just don't . . . well .. look 'right'. Forks and ladies are better for having curvy bits.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tim Bennet. said:
Quite, the geometry is only dependent on the relative positions of the key components.

However, straight forks just don't . . . well .. look 'right'. Forks and ladies are better for having curvy bits.

So, would that make a woman with straight forks doubly wrong, or does one lot of curves balance out the lack elsewhere, thus achieving perfect harmony?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
So, would that make a woman with straight forks doubly wrong, or does one lot of curves balance out the lack elsewhere, thus achieving perfect harmony?
There are many paths to harmony, Grasshopper; some are straight and some take the more circuitously route.

But at my age, any fork / lady combination is a treat.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
lukepinkhandbag said:
Stuff the forks concentrate on getting a curvy chick!!

Er - thanks - I think. But I'm really more interested in the forks...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tim Bennet. said:
There are many paths to harmony, Grasshopper; some are straight and some take the more circuitously route.

But at my age, any fork / lady combination is a treat.

I prefer curved ones as it happens, but these are quite nice for straighties, don't you think?

img.jpg

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes I must confess I have the EC90s as I don't think I could find much else at that quality for a 1" steerer. They are a fine fork and have done really well including Paris Roubaix, etc.

I just wish they were curved.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Norm

As the axle locates in the middle of the fork leg on both of those, my earlier comments may apply. The straight forks will be more twitchy, more liable to deflection from surface imperfections etc but they will also feel faster to turn and more responsive to steering inputs.

However, the straight forks appear to be angled at the bottom of the steerer so the axles are nearly (difficult to tell just from the images on CRC's site) in the same place.

I think I should just give up at this point and go back to thoughts of curved women...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Norm said:
As the axle locates in the middle of the fork leg on both of those, my earlier comments do apply. The straight forks will be more twitchy, more liable to deflection from surface imperfections etc but they will also feel faster to turn and more responsive to steering inputs.

I'm not sure I grasp that. Surely the angle and distance between steerer and axle is the same on both models, like what Foodie and Tim said? But if you're right I'm concerned - I use a short stem and don't need any more twitchiness...

Norm

The important bit is how far the axle locates in front of an imaginary line drawn through the steerer, and the effect of that on the position of the contact patch, again relative to the line through the steering tube.

Have a look at Trail on this page, it explains it better than I can.

Top Bottom