Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If we are doing 'not a road sign per se' then I will offer this one which I spotted in Keighley town centre...

View attachment 611273

Cycling clubs must have been a lot better off in those days to afford an impressive club HQ like that!
great minds - I thought of that too when I saw the post above.
Yep it's very impressive - last time I was in Keighley I couldn't find it again for some odd reason.
Very odd - and makes Keighley sound way bigger than it is.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
great minds - I thought of that too when I saw the post above.
Yep it's very impressive - last time I was in Keighley I couldn't find it again for some odd reason.
Very odd - and makes Keighley sound way bigger than it is.
It is in Cavendish Street, directly opposite a cafe used as a control in the fine Spring Into The Dales audax event.

PS You can see where in the little inset map, bottom left in the picture. And it tells you the address in the top left!

It is in Cavendish Street, directly opposite a cafe used as a control in the fine Spring Into The Dales audax event.

PS You can see where in the little inset map, bottom left in the picture. And it tells you the address in the top left!
Yes i saw the address in the pic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone for hedgehog crossing? I'm not sure of the rules, unlike zebras.

Attachments

• Image5921884249948886859.jpg
    Image5921884249948886859.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 15

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actually in Rushden Station model train club, but this is what road signs used to be like!
Used to? There's still a flaming torch school sign in Kersey, Suffolk, and an old Free Car Park sign in Thetford, Norfolk.

Alex321

Veteran
Nothing wrong with the sign, but what I find strange is that if I flash my lights to warn someone, I get done, so how can the Police get away with it?

View attachment 611412
"The Police" don't put up those signs (or the cameras), but they are a very different thing to flashing your lights.

It is actually illegal to flash you lights other than to warn of a hazard. If you do get done (and I'm not convinced anybody actually has been), it isn't for warning others of the speed trap (which doesn't count as a hazard), it is for illegally flashing your lights.

"The Police" don't put up those signs (or the cameras), but they are a very different thing to flashing your lights.

It is actually illegal to flash you lights other than to warn of a hazard. If you do get done (and I'm not convinced anybody actually has been), it isn't for warning others of the speed trap (which doesn't count as a hazard), it is for illegally flashing your lights.

Blimey, no wonder I don't see bobbies up ladders with tie wraps and spanners. :laugh: It was more just a turn of phrase for the sake of expressing a point, than something to be taken quite so literaly.

As for an offence, strictly speaking it falls under section 89 of the Police Act 1997, as it is an offence "to willfully obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty." :okay:

Alex321

Veteran
Blimey, no wonder I don't see bobbies up ladders with tie wraps and spanners. :laugh: It was more just a turn of phrase for the sake of expressing a point, than something to be taken quite so literaly.

As for an offence, strictly speaking it falls under section 89 of the Police Act 1997, as it is an offence "to willfully obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty." :okay:
I'm not convinced it does fall under that offence.

And it doesn't seem anybody has been successfully prosecuted for it under that act either:
https://www.psni.police.uk/globalas...rting-other-motorists-about-speed-cameras.pdf

I'm not convinced it does fall under that offence.

And it doesn't seem anybody has been successfully prosecuted for it under that act either:
https://www.psni.police.uk/globalas...rting-other-motorists-about-speed-cameras.pdf

Not really wanting to divert the thread further, with what was more of a tongue in cheek post anyway, but...

A motorist was penalised for warning other motorists about a speed trap. Warning other drivers about a speed trap is a criminal offence, which one Cornwall motorists discovered. The motorist was ‘waving frantically’ to warn other drivers about a mobile speed camera on the A30 near Launceston which they passed. However, one driver that the motorist warned happened to be a police officer in an unmarked car.

The motorist was penalised for obstructing a police officer, which carries a maximum penalty of £1,000 and up to one month in prison.

If drivers are warning others about a speed trap implemented by the police, they could be in breach of section 89 of the Police Act 1997.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...g-obstructing-police-officer-fine-driving-law

Top Bottom