Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
View attachment 723458

These signs are everywhere in the Basque country, northern Spain.

So "txirrindulariak" is Basque for cyclists. What an incredible language.

After some serious philological research (a couple of minutes messing around in Google translate) it seems that "txirrin" means "bell". And txirrindu means bicycle. So it would seem that the distinguishing feature of a bike in Basque is not its two-wheeled-ness, but the fact that it has a bell.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/txirrindu#Basque

MikeG

Guru
Well, Dt, your etymological and philological senses might be keener than mine. I simply translated from the Spanish.

MikeG

Guru
Motorists? Wait? What is this heresy?

I'll give you another one. This sign was spotted on a ride from the UK to Asturias in northern Spain I did 4 years ago, and I can tell you that never, not one single time, in the entire Spanish part of the ride, did any car pass me within a lane width. The closest pass would have been more than 3 metres, and as a result I was perfectly safe even when riding on a dual carriageway.

grldtnr

I'll give you another one. This sign was spotted on a ride from the UK to Asturias in northern Spain I did 4 years ago, and I can tell you that never, not one single time, in the entire Spanish part of the ride, did any car pass me within a lane width. The closest pass would have been more than 3 metres, and as a result I was perfectly safe even when riding on a dual carriageway.

It's often said Spain is one of the safest countries to cycle in , if riding on the roads.
Even in the Netherlands, you don't get that much of a gap , but then again there is little need to share the roads with traffic, you will get hollered at tho' if you do not use the cycle to paths on rural areas you do share the roadway, but there is a pai ted lane for bikes

Gwylan

Veteran
I'll ignore your remarks, your obviously not an enlightened person.
I may add I am not of the alternative lifestyle, or one of Dorothy's friends.

If that was your inference.

Quite obviously you haven't ignored my remark. There was only one.

The story is an allegory not a metaphor. You might have missed that.

I might have implied something, but you drew the inference.

But we'll both move on....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240306-105543~2.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I wonder how many people would get injured trying it?

Darwin check ☑

Top Bottom