Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is an odd one I spotted recently. On the entrance to UEA Norwich, there is a cycle lane sign which is a) inaccurate (shows the lane being the wrong side of the solid line) and b) has what I'm pretty sure is the German bicycle symbol, not ours.
Screenshot-2020-2-24 showmystreet com.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This is an odd one I spotted recently. On the entrance to UEA Norwich, there is a cycle lane sign which is a) inaccurate (shows the lane being the wrong side of the solid line) and b) has what I'm pretty sure is the German bicycle symbol, not ours.
View attachment 505866
To be honest I'd be more worried that the usable part of the marked cycle lane at the main entrance (Univerity Drive) is stupidly narrow and filled with a double yellow line. The majority of the lane appears to be the road gulley and brick surfaced (see THIS link looking up to the entrance) - I'd not want to use it when damp/wet.

mjr

To be honest I'd be more worried that the usable part of the marked cycle lane at the main entrance (Univerity Drive) is stupidly narrow and filled with a double yellow line. The majority of the lane appears to be the road gulley and brick surfaced (see THIS link looking up to the entrance) - I'd not want to use it when damp/wet.
Oh sure, but it's UEA - no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the road markings! :laugh: I think the cycle lane dates from before the road was narrowed with the brick edges in the 1990s, around the time the krapstrops was built. The sign may be that old. That such a blatently incorrect sign has survived this long says it all about how much attention anyone pays to signs and markings...

Last edited:
Oh sure, but it's UEA - no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the road markings! :laugh: I think the cycle lane dates from before the road was narrowed with the brick edges in the 1990s, around the time the krapstrops was built. The sign may be that old. That such a blatently incorrect sign has survived this long says it all about how much attention anyone pays to signs and markings...

I've never seen any good reason for taking any notice of cyclists signs: it usually leads to going a longer way than necessary, or puts you in a dangerous bit of road, or both.

mjr

I've never seen any good reason for taking any notice of cyclists signs: it usually leads to going a longer way than necessary, or puts you in a dangerous bit of road, or both.
Oh there are a fair few signs around campus which do point you a shorter route, away from motor traffic, such as this one, but they're not strange (and have the UK bike symbol on).

Kryton521

Über Member
Yesterday, very off topic. I followed the "cycle" signs, found myself cycling wrong side of a dual carriage way! Quickly got up onto the dual use path.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
More archaic than strange. Seen at Llanyblodwel:
View attachment 508819
I'm surprised that's still there!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
'Causeway'

View attachment 489643

Taken at 11:00, going to the Island
View attachment 489641 View attachment 489642

So many get caught out each year.... Many calls to charge the 'chancers' for rescue.

On a whim, on our way back from Berwick-upon-Tweed, I turned back off the A1, to go & have a look how far in it had got
@ 15:30
View attachment 489644

Even shops on Holy Island have warnings on their bags

View attachment 489645

So many get caught out each year.... Many calls to charge the 'chancers' for rescue

So many get caught out each year.... Many calls to charge the 'chancers' for rescue
Likewise, too many chanced Stanhope Ford, when that was higher than normal, so it was permanantly closed (there was a bridge a few dozen yards away)

Which is sad, as it was an integral part of the 'Le Jog' (classic car rally) as competitors had to cross it
I think maybe, even stop/restart in it
It's quite a while since I've been through it (had that white 110Tdi, mid 97 - late 2000)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17115018

On the 'wet roads' front, I do know someone who's driven the byway that crosses Morecambe Bay:eek::eek:
(he went with a couple of local fishermen)

Top Bottom