Strava app users - free or upgrade to premium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Evening all ..

Please bear with me on this one as was only made aware of this app on Saturday & had my first ride out using it on Sunday , with what I've seen of it so far it seems impressive & the auto pause / resume is kinda cool along with a few other features

Now I'm thinking is it worth the £40 odd quid to upgrade to premium & what are the benefits in doing so ?

And a few other points I noticed after "saving & sharing " my ride on Sunday id like answered if possible please

1, I really like the way some of the local routes / rides are broken up into segments , if premium would i be able to see the start point & the finish point of the segment on the map or is there an audible notification that it's approaching / finishing ?

2, who decides where the segments are & names them , I noticed yesterday that a few others had cycled the same route as I yesterday & it compares your time through the segment against there's being a little competitive I really like this part of the app .

Is anybody a premium member & is it worth it before I chuck £40 at it , love to hear your thoughts & thank you for taking the time to read .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
1.) I think this is possible but I don't know on which devices.

2) Any user can create a segment, but you do it on your ride data that you have uploaded.

My opinion premium isn't worth it.

13 rider

Guru
Another none premium user I get everything I want on the free bit. You can click on the map of a segment to see a rough start finish. The new garmins have strava live which let you now when starting a segment I believe it does this premium or not ?.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive used strava for a few years and now have gone premium this year . Ive gone premium as i use the extra features it gives me to view heart rate and power readings from my self and other riders . It also allows me a 2 month free use of zwift . If i wasn't racing i wouldn't have bothered upgrading to premium

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Another none premium user I get everything I want on the free bit. You can click on the map of a segment to see a rough start finish. The new garmins have strava live which let you now when starting a segment I believe it does this premium or not ?.

Yes I was clicking on the map after the ride & noticing the start / finish etc just be good to have it on the screen as you approach etc , all a bit new to me I must say but like to learn more about it , maybe the money maybe better put to a Garmin unit then

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Ive used strava for a few years and now have gone premium this year . Ive gone premium as i use the extra features it gives me to view heart rate and power readings from my self and other riders . It also allows me a 2 month free use of zwift . If i wasn't racing i wouldn't have bothered upgrading to premium

Cool thanks sounds good , the segments can you see them on the map live or is there an audible alert do you know ?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Cool thanks sounds good , the segments can you see them on the map live or is there an audible alert do you know ?
I have the 1000 and the alert takes over the screen giving a detailed map of the start and also a virtual partner if you are following other people that have done the segment . I've turned it off as it annoys me .

Broadside

Guru
I've used both versions, in my opinion the Premium version is not worth it. At £40 it's too expensive, if they made it £10 I reckon they would get huge sign up, but not at £40.

kiriyama

Free. I spend enough money riding the bike already!

You can make segments by logging in on the website. Can't remember the exact steps to do it. Off the top of my head. But there is a help section that should tell you how.

If your competitive premium is nice in that you can filter by age group and weight. I am of that leaning and know I can't compete against some 30yr old for a KOM but I can against some other 50 odd year old. I also like strava flyby, have been contacted by, and contacted other people on my commute route by using it. There is a little community on certain parts of my route via comments and flyby and I have only been using it since December. I dont know if you get flyby with basic.

Top Bottom