Strava app users - free or upgrade to premium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Free. I spend enough money riding the bike already!

You can make segments by logging in on the website. Can't remember the exact steps to do it. Off the top of my head. But there is a help section that should tell you how.

Ha ha only had my bike back out the shed for the last week & all I've done is spend , spend , spend lol !

I'm not to interested in making the segments as my local routes there's plenty of them , just wondered how they appeared that's all , some of the segment names made me chuckle it was obvious that a local person had named it

Thanks for your input

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
If you are a BC member you can get a 2 month free trial of the premium

Sorry not sure what you mean by BC ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Free user here. It does all I need it to do to log mileage and routes. I've created a few segments as well.
If you are riding with others, it shows up that you rode the same route.
I don't think that going premium would be of any use to me personally.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm a premium member and pay £3.99 a month. The reasons I am a premium member are as follows:

1. You get a little orange badge next to your name
2. Live segments on my Garmin 510 (sometimes annoying but mostly alright)
3. To support Strava. It's the best app out there and if we pay it will only get better.

Glass Kites

I upgraded last week funnily enough. The difference isn't massive. You get your current speed on the app homepage (instead of just an overall average). You also get live segments (so you know when you've started/ended) - which is quite handy for any particular favourites.
There's a coverage feature too, which shows a map of all the roads you've ever recorded rides/runs on, and colours them so you can see which you use more/less.
Although, I was always really happy with free Strava, and can see myself downgrading when winter comes back round later this year.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I had premium for a while but got a bit miffed when they did away with google maps and streetview. Used to be great for looking at the roads other riders had used..........now the satellite images that Mapbox or whatever it's called hardly shows a thing, especially in the less populated areas.

jefmcg

Guru
Stick with free for the moment. Strava periodically offers me (and I assume all the other free members) a 30 day trial, which I haven't taken up yet.

As a new rider, you don't need the distraction of segments while you are out on the road (IMHO, no one needs that distraction). You'll get to know the segments on your ride soon enough, and you can work on PB on those, or even KOM if you are strong and lucky.

Or QOM https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-qom-problem.156567/

BC is British Cycling. 10% off from halfords, a strava trial (didn't know that), 3rd party insurance and legal advice.

This is not an advert, I chose CTC for my insurance.

Last edited:

mythste

Veteran
I've tried a lot of cycling apps recently on my iPhone and have come to some conclusions

1. I don't like Strava. It doesnt give me any useful information that other apps dont (for my non competative) give me in a better format. I still use it as a free service to log in the background so I can compare the odd rides with people who use it religously. The strava website seems to be the best desktop route planner though,

2. Endomondo. For me, if you subscribe it gives you a good post-ride breakdown that's easily digested. Also has a good screen readout for live speed etc which seems pretty accurate. Premium is worth it if you're interested in seeing mile by mile speeds and having more data points on the live "speedo" screen.

3. Ride with GPS. The only one I'm currently paying for, I didnt want to shell out a small fortune for a garmin or similar unit and though the online route planner isnt great, it tracks really well and has been reliable. Worth the £4.49 or whatever Im paying a month for it.

jefmcg

Guru
2. Endomondo. For me, if you subscribe it gives you a good post-ride breakdown that's easily digested. Also has a good screen readout for live speed etc which seems pretty accurate. Premium is worth it if you're interested in seeing mile by mile speeds and having more data points on the live "speedo" screen.
Another good feature for endomondo - live tracking. You can lock it down with privacy settings, but on occasions it can be very useful for someone at home, or when you are on an epic journey. People can even type messages of encouragement, that your phone reads aloud to you. Quite fun during a coffee break for a friend on the other side of the world to should "get back on your bike, you slacker!"

mythste

Veteran
Another good feature for endomondo - live tracking. You can lock it down with privacy settings, but on occasions it can be very useful for someone at home, or when you are on an epic journey. People can even type messages of encouragement, that your phone reads aloud to you. Quite fun during a coffee break for a friend on the other side of the world to should "get back on your bike, you slacker!"

Ahahah, I only found out about the encouragement thing whilst grinding out a mid January ride in all sorts of horrible weather when suddenly a "friend" sent me a message saying "faster, you wuss".

Kind of worked.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Thanks for all the input some great points for and against will stick with the free version for a while now then , twas worried about banging out 40 quid on premium & then see me clicking the buy button last night on a aGarmin Edge 1000 unit after it was mentioned on here lol !

si_c

Guru
I started using it to track my rides, as that was what most people seem to use, critical mass and all that. I pay for premium now though, for one very simple reason. I like numbers. The more numbers the better, and the more ways I can look at them the better too. I also pay for veloviewer (only £10 per year, and actually better than strava for the most part).

I can quite easily understand why people wouldn't want to pay for premium however. My wife doesn't, but she tracks just the occasional ride and does so just for funzies, not for training purposes.

Top Bottom