Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
G3Xarxd.jpg

HcI5Tno.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Geisha on a mobile
zbsqutB.jpg

A couple of smaller A4 sized ones I've seen recently
nt9u5nS.jpg

HEU8nGv.jpg

x7asX0N.jpg

And finally, don't do it Garfield! Nobody looks at the scales in January.
eMGXp6S.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Cheers User10571. Thankfully there's lots of creative folk about, if they keep drawing I'll keep stopping, marvelling and photographing.

Excellent Tim, I've cycled past the eye mosaic countless times, I noticed the many small pics but never stood far enough back from it to notice the eye, amazing.

And funnily enough though we've not got it on this thread, I did a bit about the Camberwell Beauty last April in the 'your cycle in front of a wall thread' after I chanced upon it. There's another, smaller Camberwell Beauty mosaic on Cambwell High St, and there's a shopping centre named after it, more into and pic here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4773300

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
My day off today so I accepted @MikeG 's 'your bike in front of a wheelie bin, some melons and an arts and crafts outbuilding' challenge, see here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/y...n-arts-crafts-outbuilding.229405/post-5120197

While I was in the neighbourhood I had my first ever go at a bit of street art, or rather I customised an existing mural, albeit only to the standard of a 5 year old with some new felt tips, but that's my artistic level I'm afraid. Behold.
rSfg5Ol.jpg

Its surely just a matter of time before Charles Saatchi calls to offer me a mega art deal^_^

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Last night I cycled around the London Lumiere 2018 light festival, which is collection of light inspired art works. Its free, on roads closed to cars but accessible by bike, and brightens up a dank January evening like nothing else. This is the third one I've been to and I love them, and judging by the crowds so does everyone else and I hope this becomes a permanent fixture in the calendar. Here's my highlights.

First up is 'the rose' outside Westminster Cathedral, its made up from 1000's of recycled plastic bottles and is illuminated by a bunch of static bikes powered by the public
nLbLwQz.jpg

Westminster Abbey has changing colours projected onto it that really show off its features.
5JkWhCt.jpg

Crossing the Thames into south London (just) for the first time, this years festival visits the South Bank
2Qfwf9l.jpg

oGJCnWN.jpg

This one is called 'the wave' and consists of 40 triangles covered in lights that respond to movement and sound as you walk through them. I wanted to cycle through it to see what it did in response to just the noise of the tyres and the freewheel but it was way to busy for that unfortunately.
YBgB04D.jpg

ZO8Cik8.jpg

The Oxo building is a bit brighter than usual
mQHDPd0.jpg

Back across the river to Trafalgar Square which was filled with luminous balloons that came on and off in response to music that was being played, really like this.
3qY3AZE.jpg

St Martin in the Fields Church in the back ground has a huge pink neon ladder on its roof like a stairway to heaven.
Earlham street in Seven Dials has a phone box that's been converted into a tropical fish tank, I loved this and the crowds were huge and adoring, a real hit!
FExOvja.jpg

Piccadilly had a few casual walking light figures like this
AQhjB22.jpg

Ganton Street off Carnaby Street was illuminated by large light bulbs that kept changing colour
zzHKNZT.jpg

Oxford Circus has this great 'origin of the world bubble' that had differing colours and patterns projected on it
AkrJt7A.jpg

South Molten Street had some neon seesaws
799kZoG.jpg

In Chinatown there was a parade of giant flamingos with moving heads and wings
7waBxe0.jpg

Weighthouse Street had some neon benches
InBC66m.jpg

And nearby Brown Hart Gardens had some neon bikes, though typical for London some bits seem to have been pinched. I do like these, I was the only one there with a real bike.
fF8jdgT.jpg

zLb8PGS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I really liked this giant bird in Berkeley Square
AGcG127.jpg

G4qH9J5.jpg

Leicester Square had been transformed and is full of wildlife. As soon as I saw the hedgehogs I realised it must have been the same installation @AndyRM posted a few pages back
BhTM2ls.jpg

There was also Badgers
EZQ7M6p.jpg

Otters
EmgoFuT.jpg

Hares
0zzTOcA.jpg

QgnWTW9.jpg

And even a red squirrel
zCQvn3s.jpg

But my favourites were the fox
PcHHGDt.jpg

And the giant toad
eXboSIM.jpg

They also had some pretty cool foxglove lights and a giant rotating butterfly carousel
FJIyefo.jpg

fWltUzK.jpg

And a few birds resting on some boulders on the look out for any dropped burgers
JQ4W1oY.jpg

Up in Kings Cross they had some big flower fields
KyKskP2.jpg

And finally a row of these brilliant anglepoise benches, more of these please!
MKxGRc7.jpg

A massive thanks to all those that made it happen. Getting people out and about in our grim January weather may seem a challenge, but as with the other Luminere festivals I've visited this was a massive success. I spent the whole 4 hours surrounded by beaming smiles on the faces of the young, old and everyone in between. Chilly fingers and toes be damned, we all had a heart warming experience, simply brilliant, chapeau!

Last edited:

Tim Hall

No pictures but a tenuous link. I met a friend today for coffee (in a bike shop, so that ticks that box). She was showing me photos on her phone of her recent trip back home to France.

"And this is my friend. She's a street artist" Wowzer. Her friend is Manyoly, and the magic internet tells me she has some stuff in London. @booze and cake , has she featured on this thread? Heres' an interview with her.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Tim Hall thanks for that. We've not got any Manyoly pieces so far, until now that is^_^. With today's rain, sleet and snow I was'nt planning on leaving the house, but I like a challenge, and after turning my room upside down looking for the overshoes I've not worn since 2016, I layered up and headed over to explore Brick Lane and Shoreditch, where the article said her pieces were. Partial success, I found one, well I'm pretty sure the main blue one here is one of hers. Its on Fournier Street if you or your friend are interested:
kuKWMZ6.jpg

Here's another Loretto one who did the 'the Psycho's' band one from page 28, this time PM Theresa May is the subject of the artists mocking.
0QvCpnF.jpg

And here's a perspex covered Banksy in Cargo nightclub I've not noticed before.
YzfsZ2S.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Top spotting there @booze and cake . I'll tel you what's spooky though. I was round at another friend this afternoon. (I have at least two). We were discussing refugees and Huguenots, as you do. "You should get yourself to Fournier Street" he said. "Houses with weavers windows, as the Huguenots settled there." Little did we know Fournier Street would pop up again so soon.

Tim Hall

I've passed your post on and it has reached foreign parts.

"She said that most of her art has been covered by others now but she'll come back in March to bring more colours to London."

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Excellent, bringers of colour always welcome:okay: And if she lets you know where she's planning on visiting in March I'll be sure to get along and photograph those too.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Look out there's a bird killer about, this in Bethnal Green
wodXSya.jpg

And I came across this huge and impressive one in Tooting. I've not seen the film for over 20 years, but as soon as I saw the woman in this I immediately thought of Jane Fonda in Barbarella.
GAIYkAU.jpg

I looked up the film poster when I got home and sure enough its a match, the exact same pose in fact. See link here: https://www.movieart.com/barbarella-1968-2061/ Clearly the image of her in that outfit is still burned onto my brain after all these years. And the big ugly alien on the right looks like its from another film, Mars Attacks!

Top Bottom