Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's a Jimmy C and Sebastian Humphreys collaboration near Columbia Road flower market
6BfkIj7.jpg

Its not the place I expected to see one, but thanks to this find near the Regents Canal I can give you all a wave:hello:
dr80cXJ.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A tribute in Leake St tunnel to one of sciences brightest stars, Stephen Hawking who died this week.
GLNWphY.jpg

And here's a great quote of his: "remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up"

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Another crazy contrast in weather from yesterday to today. I was in shorts and short sleeves yesterday, today its snowing and its 2 pairs of ski socks, scarf and full finger gloves. I battled an icy headwind out to the Lord Morpeth pub Bow to photograph a recent Sylvia Pankhurst mural by Jerome Davenport, aka Keytones6000, who has done a number of amazing bee murals I've photographed before. The location is fitting as Sylvia lived in a house next to the pub for a decade from 1914 to 1924. More info here: https://inspiringcity.com/2018/03/1...s-on-the-side-of-the-lord-morpeth-pub-in-bow/
5Pgd4DU.jpg

On my way back through Mile End I found this. This is a first for me, the main bodies of the figures in this are made up of various bits of wood stuck to the wall, almost like the icy wind has blown a collection of urban driftwood into position.
weAclOH.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
What starts as an ooooh, what's this going to be....
tTUCuyq.jpg

....turns into a meh, when the next day all that's revealed is an ad campaign for clothing company Reserved, doing some sort of homage to 80's super model Cindy Crawford.
nHxuQ0T.jpg

I'm filing that in the following category
pHKTtrl.jpg

Chris Riggs has brought some colour and a lot of love to Hanbury Street
R0em0YX.jpg

And another example of London bus syndrome as I saw another Keytoness6000 piece off Bethnal Green Road. I'm not sure if its finished and is going to continue up the rest of the house, so I'll return at a later date and check. Maybe the artist saw some sights while looking through those windows and decided or was convinced it was best not to continue, or more likely his ladder was'nt tall enough^_^
2gpH65S.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I knew you'd like that one:okay:. The Cindy Crawford one is on Clerkenwell Road, near the junction of Goswell Road.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Going over the otherwise bland Catford bridge today I was stopped in my tracks by a kaleidoscope of butterflies. I did'nt know that was the collective term for a group of butterflies, how wonderful. It turns out these Catford specimens were inspired by Victorian insect expert Henry Stainton, who thanks to Wiki I now know lived in a big house in nearby Mountsfield Park, (the house was demolished in 1905) and wrote 'a manual of British butterflies and moths' (1857-59). He also edited the work of another titan in the butterfly field, William Buckler, who along with another legend of the time, John Hellins, wrote 'the larvae of the British butterflies and moths'. Buckler did the illustrations and his 164 plates of hand coloured drawings took 30 years to complete:eek:. They are apparently in the Natural History Museum, they sound amazing, I may see if I can visit them.

OK here we go, big thanks to my sis and her other half Steve, who knew much more of these than I did. These are apparently the correct names, and I hope I've got them in the right order. If there's any lepidopterists in the house than can correct any errors or fill in any gaps, that would be great, thanks:okay:.

Garden Tiger Moth maybe?
tohReeF.jpg

Peacock Butterfly
ejrLS8j.jpg

Tortoiseshell butterfly, can be seen as early as March according to my sis, who saw one in Bristol 3 weeks ago, brrrrrr it must have had the shock of its tiny life!
Y3dyUzc.jpg

Maybe a Burnet moth? EDIT: thanks to @furball who identified it as a Cinnabar moth
bGk9ksy.jpg

A type of Hawk moth maybe?
faKfmUl.jpg

Don't know this one, any ideas? Looks more moth than butterfly we think.
QTqUKHV.jpg

Don't know these two either, anyone?
7I79MKl.jpg

QIBysl3.jpg

Maybe a Marbled White butterfly?
8Zoz6fI.jpg

Red Admiral butterfly
B3Z41uX.jpg

And according to my sis we finish on a blinder, rare in the UK, a Swallowtail butterfly.
WzRDP0T.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those are amazing! :wub:

The hawk moth is a privet hawk moth - we have loads of them around here, though you tend to see the caterpillars more than the moths. They're acid green with white and lilac go-faster stripes.

One of the unidentified butterflies is a male orange tip. They fly around May / June time. Female orange tips are all white.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @furball, have edited accordingly:okay:
That man Jerome Davenport has been at it again, this time doing a pub in Hackney Wick
M6KPZji.jpg

And nearby I found another work by canine obsessed Teddy Baden, this one is called 'pugs might fly'^_^
6DswleQ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom