Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Some pavement art outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square.
vFxXjIL.jpg

And on the plinths in nearby Brown Hart Gardens, are these invisible man like empty suits. A bit of interweb searching when I got home reveals they are by Beth Cullen-Kerridge, whose husband is west country celebrity chef Tom Kerridge. Tom has lost an amazing 12 stone in weight over the last 3 years, so I guess he has plenty of clothes that don't fit him anymore that Beth could re-purpose in bronze. The following article says the empty suit reference is directed at previous bank managers and accountants who laughed and scoffed at their dreams. Numerous Michelin stars, TV success and a reinvigorated art career later, the couple have had the last laugh:okay:. https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/sculptor-beth-cullen-kerridge-art-life-tom-give-booze/
jhkxy8U.jpg

UBRzTwb.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's another of Shok-1's X-ray pieces. This is in Walthamstow, and is called 'I see through you'
OoYgdqB.jpg

And in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. I like how the eye was so obviously painted right under the CCTV above.
8t8zsqj.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's a camel train on some hoardings in Stoke Newington. Still probably quicker, cheaper and less smelly than the last train I went on. Its so wide I had to play a game of Frogger and dodge traffic on the busy A10 in my clip-clop shoes to stand in the middle of the road to get the pic. Londoners are just not patient enough to allow photographers to wander up the road taking pictures:whistle:
Dm8Sxwp.jpg

And I found some more Jimmy C's on the side of Home nightclub in Kings Cross. I really like the swirling effect on the second one.
YG3mTQR.jpg

6pDLPe6.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
More traffic dodging today, this time on the busy South Circular. It almost feels like the artists are luring me into the traffic. I hope none of them get tempted to do something along the M1 as that would probably finish me off.

Today's trip was to see a new mural in Forest Hill. The piece was paid for by a Crowdfunding campaign arranged by local residents, and it reached its target in under 4 days:bravo:. The piece was done by local resident Lionel Stanhope who has done a number of works in the area, south Londoners may recognise his large traditional railway signs under bridges at Herne Hill and Hither Green.
lk3Phbu.jpg

The orange colour matches the colour of the London Overground network on Harry Beck's famous tube map, and the Forest Hill stop is directly above. The walrus is a bit of a local celebrity, (it even has its own twitter feed! https://twitter.com/hornimanwalrus?lang=en ) and is on display in the brilliant Horniman Museum which is nearby. They have had it for over 100 years, and it remains popular despite being unlike any walrus ever seen, as it is comically overstuffed.

This from the Horniman website:
".....it came from Canada and was first seen in London in the ‘Canada’ section of the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in South Kensington in 1886. The walrus formed part of a display of animals mostly assembled by the Canadian hunter and explorer James Henry Hubbard whose exhibit was highly praised by Queen Victoria during a visit. When the Exhibition closed, Frederick Horniman bought the Walrus and other Canadian animals to display in the Horniman Museum. Our Walrus is an unusual taxidermy specimen, it appears stretched and ‘over stuffed’ as it lacks the skin folds characteristic of a walrus in the wild. Over one hundred years ago, only a few people had ever seen a live walrus, so it is hardly surprising that ours does not look true to life. This is probably why it remains one of the most popular exhibits on display in the museum today" You can see a pic of it here: https://www.horniman.ac.uk/collections/browse-our-collections/object/190371

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Here's a similar one (or even the same one in an earlier state):

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BT37wLXgsj-/

Mr Degri had a few works in 2016 on the Ha'penny Hatch, connecting Greenwich and Deptford along the railway arches. Long since gone as it's descended into tagging and over-tagging.

The added comments only appeared later but I didn't have my camera with me.

For a good while, people doing community service would paint the arches white, and this only served as an invitation to paint on it again.....
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2464.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG

There's a certain something about selecting a sheet of paper, knowing exactly what you're going to do with it... :smile:

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @skudupnorth. Nice bike, that looks ready to go round the world.

I was in Noel Street in Soho today, and artist Loretto who did the 'Psychos' band featuring Putin, Trump and Kim Jong-Un from page 28, has been busy adding art to all the available hoardings. First up is another band one. Its a shame its been scrawled over already, but I was stopped in my tracks by laughing when I cycled past this. Featuring the all new trio of the Queen, Angela Merkel and Theresa May.
vFnX7wX.jpg

Here's Queenie again
3ouZvDK.jpg

Some people like shopping, some people need dragging along.
F7VBN2h.jpg

ET is just here to get stoned
9bZUFIq.jpg

And this was a timely find, its Easter Sunday today, and it appears Jesus has been resurrected and become a Big Issue seller.
BeRwrg2.jpg

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Thanks @skudupnorth. Nice bike, that looks ready to go round the world.

I was in Noel Street in Soho today, and artist Loretto who did the 'Psychos' band featuring Putin, Trump and Kim Jong-Un from page 28, has been busy adding some art to all the available hoardings. First up is another band one. Its a shame its been scrawled over already, but I was stopped in my tracks by laughing when I cycled past this. Featuring the all new trio of the Queen, Angela Merkel and Theresa May.
View attachment 402552
Here's Queenie again
View attachment 402553
Some people like shopping, some people need dragging along.
View attachment 402554
ET is just here to get stoned
View attachment 402555
And this was a timely find, its Easter Sunday today, and it appears Jesus has been resurrected and become a Big Issue seller.
View attachment 402556
Cheers, the bike is a cracker and hopefully I will be doing some bigger rides involving a tent when I get time. It feels really stable and solid. I am going to mooch into Manchester with one of the bikes to snap some of the amazing street art that is all over the place. Its a shame someone has already trashed some of the stunning art you have spotted,nothing can be left alone in this country :sad:

Top Bottom