Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
It sounds like you need a camera @Reynard, top spotting there ^_^. Don't feel you need a bike in shot, I'd rather see a street art pic without a bike than miss the shot entirely.....or just make a list, I'll gladly work from tip-offs, thanks. I'll try and visit them, and if they pass muster they're in:okay:.

I've been to Poundland in Turnpike Lane, living the dream or what:becool:. I did'nt go in. There used to be a Banksy on the wall outside called 'slave labour', but in 2013 it was cut off the wall and appeared in a Miami auction house soon after for mega-bucks. I mentioned it and posted some links back on page 17. Anyway there was a big hoo-ha at the time and it got removed from sale. There's a bit more background and some interesting points about who owns street art here: https://www.artquest.org.uk/artlaw-article/who-owns-street-art-2/
Shortly after the piece went missing, Banksy returned to the site and did another piece with a rat holding a placard saying 'why?' Anyway this was all over 5 years ago, so I thought I'd head over there and see if that piece, or any others were still at this infamous location. The rat remains and is protected by perspex, but it looks a bit of a sorry state now.
g7c9JJJ.jpg

On the same wall, and also given the 'protected' perpex treatment is this boy with a spoon on his nose. No idea if this is a Banksy or not, but if it isn't, its the first non-Banksy piece I've ever seen given a protective cover.
YPdAM5z.jpg

And on my way home I saw this in Shoreditch. Keep adding colour to houses please artists.
Jxkf18r.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you need a camera @Reynard, top spotting there ^_^. Don't feel you need a bike in shot, I'd rather see a street art pic without a bike than miss the shot entirely.....or just make a list, I'll gladly work from tip-offs, thanks. I'll try and visit them, and if they pass muster they're in:okay:.

Cameras I have, @booze and cake - have been known to do a spot of photography in my time... ;)

Problem is whipping out a dslr when whizzing past on crowded public transport. :sad: It's easier for me to take a note with pen and paper. :smile:

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I see, sounds like what you really need is to ditch the bus and get a bike:whistle:. Only joking I know you've got one. But I've heard all sorts of horror stories of people whipping things out on the buses:eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Here's another of artist Dreph's tributes to 'ordinary' local people doing inspirational things. This is on Somerleyton Road in Brixton and features Linett. 'For over 26 years she has quietly influenced change within the UK education system helping staff and students achieve excellence in schools facing significant challenges.'
ykKjBzC.jpg

And right next to that is this, which nicely conveys the sense of wonder and adventure a good teacher can instil in young minds.
zXnLfgF.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
What the last few pictures have failed to convey, is how chuffing cold it is. 3 pairs of socks on today but after an hour all feeling in my toes was gone. Luckily I don't need my toes for taking photographs, but that wind is so savage it feels like it could strip paint from walls:cold:.
Despite a shorter ride, I still found a new Mr Cenz on Fashion St
WCuBgdY.jpg

And these are new in Star Yard
Q5gxaKp.jpg

wmsSkgf.jpg

WnshWTe.jpg

And this is over in Ladbroke Grove, is the image in this of anyone famous, anyone recognise her?
2eUy6jd.jpg

Tim Hall

What the last few pictures have failed to convey, is how chuffing cold it is. 3 pairs of socks on today but after an hour all feeling in my toes was gone. Luckily I don't need my toes for taking photographs, but that wind is so savage it feels like it could strip paint from walls:cold:.
Despite a shorter ride, I still found a new Mr Cenz on Fashion St
View attachment 397517
And these are new in Star Yard
View attachment 397518
View attachment 397519
View attachment 397520
And this is over in Ladbroke Grove, is the image in this of anyone famous, anyone recognise her?
View attachment 397521
Cartooneros (see the top right corner) is an Argentinian stencil artist usually brightening up that country.. Their bloggy thing says that's Kate Moss.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Freezing conditions again today. My toes are close to mutiny and are searching for a new host that prefers to stay indoors in such weather. At least I found some new works to make being chilled to the core worthwhile. First up a kingfisher by Skyhigh, they did the one on the previous page in Waterloo, this is in Shoreditch
8zuMrSn.jpg

And nearby is a new Dan Kitchener piece, called 'Tokyo ghosts'
PQ7ce3o.jpg

The Tokyo Ghosts one is fabby - I ran across an article a while back about a chap who does night time photography in places like Tokyo and Hong Kong, and makes me wonder if this wasn't worked from one of his photos as it has the same feel. Wet night, long exposure etc.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Reynard Dan Kitchener definitely has a keen interest in city traffic scenes and Japan, they crop up regularly in his work. I especially like the pic @GM posted from Belfast on page 26. I've enjoyed Dr James Fox's BBC4 3 part series 'Art of Japanese life' recently. The last one had some good photography of peoples tiny living spaces, a beautiful 17th century, but amazingly contemporary villa, Rinshunkaku, and the wonderfully quirky tea houses and other buildings of Terunobu Fujimori.

Its been quiet from me for this last week as I've been in mid Wales. I had hoped to do some spring cycling, but 'the beast from the east' or as I'd rather call it, 'the unsurprising snow storm in winter non-shocker' meant I decided not to bother taking a bike, which proved a wise move. I did see some temporary lane art formed by the weather.
GMTP7Ej.jpg

AMI54IC.jpg

I had plenty of time to play with my folks' super cute new puppy Lenny, here giving his best innocent pose......
yRxAqnm.jpg

......but seconds before that pic he was doing this to that poor teddy
CEloygZ.jpg

Today was my first ride for over a week, so good to stretch the legs and I was back in short sleeves, what a difference a week makes. I only saw one new piece today, off Brick Lane, and would you 'Adam and Eve it', it was another Dan Kitchener
XQfY3al.jpg

Last edited:
Ooooh, I'll have to catch up with that series on i-player @booze and cake - I find Japanese art intriguing. Even their swords are amazing works of art. They have a stunning 16th century katana in the British Museum, gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

Have to say, Dan Kitchener's work really floats my boat.

Though I do prefer furry things that go miaow rather than woof, but Lenny's a cutie :wub: How can you not love that face?

We didn't have so much snow here - didn't amount to more than a couple of inches at best - so no "lane art". But I did have a crack at my own snow art nonetheless... :blush:

IMG_5031_small.jpg

Top Bottom