Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I watched this during the week (which was shown because of Upfest) which gave some information about the start of street art:
Vandals and Visionaries

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Cool thread. I've seen a fair few of these traipsing through Londinium on Shanks' Pony. :thumbsup:

BTW, you do know that there is a Banksy on the side of the pharmacy that's opposite Essex Road Station? And there's a bright mural at Dalston Junction opposite the Co-op.

I've seen the Dalston mural before, the colours and style look the same as the Cable St mural. And no I was'nt aware of the Banksy one, I'll go and check it out, thanks.

Fabulous collection, @booze and cake . Do you ever look where you're actually going though?

^_^ I am king of the rubber neckers. But yes I have almost piled into the back of a bus on more than one occasion. On a positive note its taught me to ride around a bit slower and take in the surroundings a bit more.

Great thread! A ride to look at some of these would be good - complementing the London Ghost Signs ride of a couple of years ago.

Thanks. Oooh I've not heard of the ghost signs ride, I'll look that up, that's tonight's reading sorted:okay: And I have found some good stuff on the block you linked to below.

Bristol also has loads of wonderful stuff, I've only seen a fraction of them. https://inspiringcity.com/2016/09/01/where-to-find-street-art-in-bristol/

I watched this during the week (which was shown because of Upfest) which gave some information about the start of street art:
Vandals and Visionaries

^_^ Yes I know Bristol has lots, my sister lives there and on my next visit I plan to seek out some good ones. Funnily enough I knew about Upfest and during the publishing of this thread I rather cheekily tried to get @summerdays to attend and take some pics as I knew she was in Bristol. I also pestered my sister to go along on Sunday and take some pics for me, but according to her it was lashing it down with rain so she did'nt bother, but she did watch the above linked programme and sent me this she papped directly off the telly, haha, slacker, but I laughed.
SwpLqwA.jpg

Street Art. Free displays of artistic talent or vandalism and a load of rubbish?
View attachment 365007
The canvas is huge and ever changing, its mischievous with a history of rebellion, I've had my jaw drop open in amazement and laughed out loud. Its a constantly evolving free exhibition and treasure hunt that's best viewed by bike. I'm a fan!

Over the past few months in my spare time I've cycled hundreds of miles across London and discovered some real gems, so its time to share the best ones I've got so far and hopefully others will post their good finds too. Cyclists get about so we should be able to amass a great collection. Extra points for bikes in photos as it acts as a constant reminder cycling is the best way to see them, and for scale purposes obviously View attachment 363975

If people are interested in coming on a bike ride to see some of them, I am happy to help arrange a ride or series of rides in September and October. If so just declare your interest here and if some peeps come forward I will set up a separate thread for us to agree dates, draw up a shortlist of pieces to visit, agree route, food and drink stops etc. @RedRider and @Nigel182 had previously hinted at interest but all are welcome.

Right that's enough jabbering, unleash the spray cans....
View attachment 364392
View attachment 364393
...and lets see those neglected, unloved, blank walls given some colour
View attachment 364398
Art is often inspired by nature. I thought London wildlife was mostly pigeons, crows, rats and foxes, but when I started really looking I realised London has a still life safari park. I noticed a few bird drawings across town and after some interwebbing discovered they were by someone called ATM who did drawings of endangered or recently extinct UK birds:https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/mar/22/warning-signs-street-artist-atm-birds
So I set off trying to find some. Chaffinch in Loughborough Junction
View attachment 363363
A school grounds in Acton has a Goldfinch and a Jay
View attachment 363364
View attachment 363365
A bullfinch in Turnpike Lane
View attachment 363366
A lapwing, also in Turnpike Lane
View attachment 363367
A goshawk in Walthamstow
View attachment 363368
The now extinct in UK Great Bustard in Whitechapel
View attachment 363369
Kingfisher in Dulwich
View attachment 363370
Curlew in Mile End
View attachment 363948
Snipe in Walthamstow
View attachment 363371
Barn owl in Acton
View attachment 363372
The head is all that remains of this Bittern in Bethnal Green
View attachment 363594
And there is a whole flock in Coppermill Lane Walthamstow
View attachment 363373
Big thanks to my friend in Wales, Jez Evans who identified the birds I could'nt.
Wow. Those birds are awesome. I'd love to see the curlew one - they're my favourite birds.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 4901553, member: 76"]I enjoy quite a lot of the street art in Bristol, most of it is excellent.

However we have a friend who lives in Southville in an end of terrace. She was just finishing up the sale of her house when a huge painting appeared on the end wall of her house overnight. It was very good I have to say, but the purchasers pulled out as they didn't want the risk of endlessly covering up what they saw as graffiti on their house! She still hasn't sold two years later and is really quite down about it.[/QUOTE]

What's the artists' etiquette here?

I'd be farkin' incandescent if someone painted something on my house without my permission. But if they asked and told me what they wanted to paint I might say yes

Painting on someone's house without permission sounds really poor

AndyRM

XOXO
And here's a new Zabou one painted on Wheeler St, I think its Sid Vicious of Sex Pistols fame.
View attachment 365842

It is! Using Dennis Morris' photo as inspiration.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@hopless500 well if you're in London in the coming months put your name on the list and we can ride there^_^. There is a series of arches with other pieces in this area, at the moment its really wild and overgrown and I got scratches from the brambles and stung by the stinging nettles, a rare sensation for me in London these days. The tingling giving me flashbacks to my childhood in Wales where nettle stings were a daily occurrence. I don't think I've ever seen a curlew in the wild, but did hear one when up at my Mums in Wales in July, which still felt special.

@nickyboy I've no idea, like you I'd like to think if the house was occupied they'd ask, or be invited to do so...or risk being chased down the road by angry residents wielding pitchforks.

@AndyRM top info, cheers:okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
@hopless500 well if you're in London in the coming months put your name on the list and we can ride there^_^. There is a series of arches with other pieces in this area, at the moment its really wild and overgrown and I got scratches from the brambles and stung by the stinging nettles, a rare sensation for me in London these days. The tingling giving me flashbacks to my childhood in Wales where nettle stings were a daily occurrence. I don't think I've ever seen a curlew in the wild, but did hear one when up at my Mums in Wales in July, which still felt special.

@nickyboy I've no idea, like you I'd like to think if the house was occupied they'd ask, or be invited to do so...or risk being chased down the road by angry residents wielding pitchforks.

@AndyRM top info, cheers:okay:

No worries. Seriously good photographer, and had a pretty interesting time doing it.

More info here - http://www.dennismorris.com/

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
^_^ah thanks, but I am merely the conduit, the real credit goes to the artists. I am completely rubbish with the crayons so really marvel at those with a talent, and gladly bring it to the attention of others who may never have otherwise seen it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Those photos must be worth something - nobody else would have the time or energy or knowledge to compile such a super collection. Have you thought of approaching an art book publisher?

Edit: your pictures appeal specially to me because my Dad's family were Londoners and I was born there and even lived and worked there in the early 80s. I've always been fascinated by the hidden parts of that amazing city especially the lost rivers; I've marvelled at the river Westbourne crossing the platforms at Sloane Square Undergound station unnoticed in its pipe and would love to go down the Fleet one day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom