Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Urbex website 28dayslater has some great shots taken inside those lost rivers and plenty of shots of street art if you look around the site.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Globalti I thought such books might already exist really, I'd honestly not thought about it. But if a glossy magazine wants to give money to run and feature using my pics I'm all ears^_^ . If that were to happen I'd try and contact some of the artists and see we could get a piece done to honour them, to those that colour in London and risk getting their collar felt doing it, and then we can ride to see and photograph that, and it all links together wonderfully^_^

I did'nt know about the river in the pipe at Sloane Square station, intriguing. I live in Vauxhall so am near the mainly underground river Effra. I'll check out that river site.

I don't have any funds for fancy foreign cycling holidays, but thankfully the amount of history and things to explore in London means I get my cycling tours done locally. I estimate I've cycled close to 1000 miles doing this so far. I've been to Walthamstow about 4 or 5 times, voluntarily, and that's a 30 mile round trip, same with Croydon. It constantly boggles my mind that I've cycled more around the city than most, but I have'nt got anywhere near cycling all of it, and if you did things change so fast your memories would be out of date, its great, its endless^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
@Globalti I thought such books might already exist really, I'd honestly not thought about it. But if a glossy magazine wants to give money to run and feature using my pics I'm all ears^_^ . If that were to happen I'd try and contact some of the artists and see we could get a piece done to honour them, to those that colour in London and risk getting their collar felt doing it, and then we can ride to see and photograph that, and it all links together wonderfully^_^

I did'nt know about the river in the pipe at Sloane Square station, intriguing. I live in Vauxhall so am near the mainly underground river Effra. I'll check out that river site.

I don't have any funds for fancy foreign cycling holidays, but thankfully the amount of history and things to explore in London means I get my cycling tours done locally. I estimate I've cycled close to 1000 miles doing this so far. I've been to Walthamstow about 4 or 5 times, voluntarily, and that's a 30 mile round trip, same with Croydon. It constantly boggles my mind that I've cycled more around the city than most, but I have'nt got anywhere near cycling all of it, and if you did things change so fast your memories would be out of date, its great, its endless^_^

Vice Magazine might be interested?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I recommend The Lost Rivers of London by Nicholas Barton: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Rivers-London-Effects-Londoners/dp/094866715X

Here's the River Westbourne:

9677567301_8e65d898c2_b.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Stunning!

Many thanks for posting. I had no idea there was so much astonishing work all over my home town. For a couple of modest contributions, my missus suddenly spotted this on the side of a nondescript building while we were queuing for a beer:

upload_2017-8-3_14-11-29.png

I'm assuming '30s, given the building, and I thought it had a Gill look about it, tho' it almost certainly isn't.

And this, posted on this very forum a few years back...and sadly long since covered over with vastly inferior 'artwork':

upload_2017-8-3_14-14-35.png

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
It was my day off today so I went to Penge to see some new elephants (as you do) that appeared this week on Stodart Street.
1IBB1ow.jpg

And yesterday evening I was over in Clare St in Bethnal Green, which had a few obscured works so I'll have to revisit. I was able to get these though, another one by Louis Masai
S89ORZD.jpg

And this
D1x1AGN.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've always wondered who paints their cars with those rattle cans because you seldom see the inevitably crappy result. Now I know the true purpose of the rattle can!

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The whole area around Brick Lane is worth visiting on a regular basis as new stuff goes up all the time. Another trip down Hanbury Street yesterday helped me identify 2 more artists whose works I have already photographed but did'nt know the artist, so in this case literally putting names to faces^_^. Back on page 2 I posted this image from Camden
trP2EDC.jpg

Yesterday I came across this:
5gfycIX.jpg

....unmistakably by the same person, in fact the model looks the same too, take a bow Ant Carver. I did'nt notice the original pic had 'Ant' in the top right corner until today, which does'nt say much for my powers if observation. I was transfixed by her eyes which are so well done on both, that's my excuse. Immediately next to that was this:
hNNvteB.jpg

Luckily its also signed, the style looked familiar to me, and a quick google confirms that Tito Ferrara did indeed do this previously unidentified work on Great Eastern St, also from page 2
PVMl8TD.jpg

A good bit of detective work for the day^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I went searching for another Dreph pic today in Soho after stumbling upon the London calling blog which celebrates London's street art and had a feature on him. The blog has lots of good stuff, much of which I've found already. On Wardour St we find this portrait of Leyla Hussein
DCTMQkd.jpg

Leyla is a leading international campaigner on female genital mutilation who has done loads of brilliant things, read more here:
https://londoncallingblog.net/2017/07/28/new-dreph-you-are-enough-street-art-around-london/
We get two for the price of one here, we also get another Invader space invader symbol in the top right of pic.

I then went looking for another Ant Carver one on King Henry's walk in Hackney, but it had already been painted over, bah. But on the way there I just so happened to see this on the corner of Mortimer St and Newman St, that made me screech to a halt. A Theresa May and Marilyn Monroe mash-up, by Loretto. I like the gopping shoes, nice touch^_^
KMRDWAI.jpg

And on the other side of the door we have Jeremy Corbyn as Saint Francis of Assisi, more info here: https://news.fitzrovia.org.uk/2017/06/07/jeremy-corbyn-appears-as-st-francis-of-assisi/
Rg2A1ZZ.jpg

^_^

Top Bottom