Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
So after two recent fish artworks, and yesterday discovering its ocean week this week, now I'm seeing fish everywhere. Our friend Dave is at it again.
9niaq8q.jpg

I was lucky enough to bump into a street artist at work yesterday
VHjHeC9.jpg

@pixie.london here finishing off a portrait of her late grandma. I instantly recognised her sig from the previous page, as she'd also done the excellent portrait of her dad from the previous page, this one:
xI2kQDx.jpg

I said I'd seen the one of her Dad and thought it a lovely tribute, and I'd seen a similar tribute an artist did to his late granddad with the 'goodnight Vienna piece' (from page 38) and was sorry if he had passed away. I'm delighted to report @pixie.london's dad is alive and well^_^. I felt a plum for fearing the worse, why wait for someone to die before doing a tribute? Too right, I'm full of admiration she did that for her dad, who I'm sure will get to see it and bask in the glow, what a lovely present. High fives all round, :bravo:. I looked up @pixie.london later and found her website, her name is Janey Louise Fletcher. It turns out Janey was practising these portraits as she was going to do a Vicky Pollard (from TV show Little Britain) piece at the Meeting of Styles street art festival in Germany, which I've just looked up and it runs from 14-17th June. More info here: http://www.meetingofstyles.com/blog/14-17-june-2018-wiesbaden-germany/. She's also off to the Upfest Festival in Bristol in July.

I mentioned I'd just taken a picture each day over the course of a week of the work on the previous page, and wondered out loud how much those concertina lifts were to hire. Straight off the bat Janey said £500 per day each. Woah, they had 2 for a week, that's £7000 just for the lifts, add in paint, 2 artists pay for a week, and the cost of cones and barriers.....that was obviously a big paid/sponsored thing, but even so I had no idea it got that expensive. I was reassured by Janey's plastic step that there are lower cost options available^_^.

Janey also said it was her friend who did the excellent wool 'techni-colour yawn' from a few pages back. She said in the end someone set fire to it:cursing:. I know street art can be transient, but that was a despair at your fellow man moment for me. Any idiot can break stuff, but it takes skill and dedication to make something, so another big thanks to all the creatives out there. And thank you Janey for taking the time to talk to me, good luck in Germany:okay:.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On a lonely spot in Deptford, something a little different: some Islamic calligraphy on an Electricity substation.
P1000108.JPG

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @User13710, I love the location for that artwork, you can imagine the ammonite being exposed by the sea eroding the cliffs in the background.

And yes that's a new one on me @deptfordmarmoset, wonder if its a moan about shocking electricity prices^_^

I had a musical discovery today. In the a secluded mews in west London I came across a building with 2 art works. 'X' marks the spot, which is in Codrington Mews.
iSlp4Gr.jpg

And on the adjacent wall round the corner is this:
fq2bOsl.jpg

Top marks if you recognised either of them. I didn't, so looked up the address when I got home, and the building is home to successful UK independent record label XL recordings, who have worked with Adele, Beck, Dizzee Rascal, The Prodigy, Radiohead, White Stripes and the xx amongst others. The two artworks relate to album cover art for two of their acts. The 'X' if from the xx's album, Coexist, and the other is from The Eraser solo album by Radiohead frontman, Thom Yorke, who himself featured in this thread back on page 16, seen here:
EQuqk6k.jpg

The black and white artwork on the XL building is by Thom Yorke's college friend Stanley Donwood, who has done the artwork for all of Radiohead's, and Thom Yorke's solo albums. The scene depicts London being destroyed by fire and flood in a quasi-medieval style, it is part of a linocut by Donwood, the full picture can been seen in this link: https://albumdesignclass.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/thom-yorke-the-eraser/

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @Toshiba Boy, you've got your eye in now:okay:

@User10571 yes we had it way back on page 3....
m0SBhZG.jpg

.....but as we're on page 47 now you're forgiven for losing track^_^, like @deptfordmarmoset I'm struggling to keep track, even of the ones I've taken myself:laugh:.
I think I've got most of the ones in the area, apart from a new psychedelic mushroom piece on the corner of Honor Oak Park and Stondon Park, which I saw while driving this week but couldn't photograph, so I'll have to cycle over and get that soon. On the subject of Brockley I saw this earlier today.
8fsfvbo.jpg

I looked up Adrian Boswells when I got home, and I think that's his studio door. Adrian does some cool collage art, and during last years broccoli shortage, you remember that right?....he did a number of broccoli based art works around Brick Lane. I found this funny blog post with some more info: http://graffoto1.blogspot.com/2018/02/adrian-boswell-broccoli-man.html
I lowered the speed today and rooted around for some smaller pieces. More strange fungal goings on.....
Qkk6KIU.jpg

....someone didn't get a royal wedding invite....
g8Sz5pN.jpg

Another musical find, this is a slight tweek on The Jam's 'in the city', sung of course by Paul Weller. The opening line of which is "in the city there's a 1000 things I want to say to you"
ZkGmTPx.jpg

A door in Brick Lane
PlNUjvV.jpg

Side street off Brick Lane
ztb0PgB.jpg

....'ere Dave look at the rear end on that.....full chrome, phooaaar!
z5x6mLH.jpg

This is in central London, in a back street near Covent Garden. I know its not complete but I smiled at the clowns smile which someone else obviously added at a late date.
wCvCncB.jpg

All that foraging made me feel like this little guy. Obviously done by the same person that did the recent leopard and marlin, really liking these.
OUONbrz.jpg

Last edited:
U

User10571

I'll give it another go....
The vibrant colours of this caught my eye as I cycled along Coppermill Lane.
Have we, errr...... had it before?

28864749118_2d1e0fc201_z.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'll give it another go....
The vibrant colours of this caught my eye as I cycled along Coppermill Lane.
Have we, errr...... had it before?

View attachment 413825
Completely off topic: did I just see you coming out of Norman Road in Greenwich? I wasn't sure it was you because I didn't expect to see you there. I was driving a blue mobile bird poo repository away from Greenwich High Road.

U

User10571

Completely off topic: did I just see you coming out of Norman Road in Greenwich? I wasn't sure it was you because I didn't expect to see you there. I was driving a blue mobile bird poo repository away from Greenwich High Road.
Norman Road Greenwich forms part of my daily diet. Once a day. Homeward-bound only. So, yes, likely as not, me. The timing would be approximately correct.
ETA - I hear guano is the new black - when it comes to car colours.

Last edited by a moderator:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Norman Road Greenwich forms part of my daily diet. Once a day. Homeward-bound only. So, yes, likely as not, me. The timing would be approximately correct.
ETA - I hear guano is the new black - when it comes to car colours.
Oh, by the way, I don't think I've seen that one before but I got the same kind of question wrong only a day ago....

steven1988

Veteran
Top Bottom