Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I went past the mushrooms in Brockley again today, but like last time was driving so was without bike. Luckily I had a passenger who dangled out of the window as I did a slow motion drive by^_^,cheers Liviu, it turned out great, I expect we'll get a call for stunt work for the next James Bond film:okay:
mKzllaV.jpg

I was back on the bike for the next one. This is by Jimmy C and is located in Borough market, right by London Bridge. Its was a tribute done 1 year after the London Bridge attacks on the 3rd of June last year, there is a heart for each of the 8 people who lost their lives that day.
C3gglpu.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
In a secluded corner of Luxmore Gardens, which is tucked away off the busy A20 in Lewisham, I found some birds by Aspire.
gFjvlDL.jpg

RW4U1rk.jpg

I've featured lots of birds by Aspire in this thread, in fact I've only ever seen them do birds, but over in Penge the artist has departed from their usual subject matter with this excellent great white shark.
nSa5MM5.jpg

Serge

Über Member
Thanks again @SteveF, really like those:okay:
I saw work start on this today, I'm betting its a corporate advert, we'll see. Look out for the phone zombies in the road.
View attachment 414331
And opposite the Escher like panel I photographed over the course of a week back on page 46, an impressive and detailed Romeo and Juliet scene has appeared.

View attachment 414332
It looks like someone's painted the Ghostbusters' headquarters.

Elysian_Roads

More blurring of the distinctions of what constitutes street art. I saw this cyclist in Brussels:
View attachment 414619

Take a close look at the tag on the back of her rack? Is that René Magritte's bike she's riding? Is she smoking une pipe?
Wasn't aware of the original picture (the street art thread is a real education). Is it some kind of anti-theft message? This is only a representation of a bike so don't steal it????

I wish I could like street art, but I can't ... I was in Manchester Art Gallery on Thursday and they have this which I now like, not really a convert but maybe on the path to enlightenment?
Banksy-Manchester-1.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@deptfordmarmoset it looks like a nitrous injection rocket bike to me ^_^.

@Grant Fondo each to their own, I appreciate its not for everyone, but there's been a huge range of work on display in these pages on all manner of subjects, so I'm a bit puzzled you can just declare you don't like any of it, like its all the same. You were at an art gallery so you obviously appreciate art, what is it about it being outside that puts you off? Or do you like work in a more classical style? Even the old masters like to get out and about and engage with new audiences, here is Reubens' Samson and Delilah from back on page 12, that was part of a project run by the National Gallery taking old works to the streets. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-4938189

You don't have to like it, or agree with its message, if the viewer doesn't want to be engaged that's fine, they can walk on by. Personally I struggle to see how all of the art works displayed on these pages do not improve a blank outside wall, but I'm obviously biased:laugh:.

Its funny that Banksy works ended up in galleries as he always thought such places were bad venues to look at art. That image you photographed is on the cover of his book Wall and Piece, I just came across this blog post with some more background on the pic.
http://www.blogs.buprojects.uk/2015...ge-flower-thrower-or-flower-bomber-by-banksy/
The article ends with the phrase is it art or vandalism, which I posted in the very post in this thread. That Banksy image looks like art and vandalism combined, but the overall message is one of peace and not violence. That image is now so famous it has been copied by others. On my trip to Bristol last year I came across this florist which has this image on the shutters.
sTM3Nxc.jpg

And on the subject of peace, this is new in Shoreditch
TUDHM9a.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A further rummage around Penge and I uncovered a variety of cultural references. In a narrow and awkward to photograph alley is this, which seems to feature the cartoon mice of Mickey Mouse and Itchy from the Itchy and Scratchy show, as featured on the Simpsons.
tjCDAKf.jpg

I found another Nerone flowers and neon piece on some nearby gates
q54smt8.jpg

I'm getting a famous actress feeling on this one, is this a young Elizabeth Taylor perhaps?
KmHY7RG.jpg

And in a similar style is this floppy Dali like clock
idHN93e.jpg

And down the end of a dodgy looking dead end alley, that I've passed before but never ventured down, I found some unexpected finds on a deserted patch of ground that the nettles are already reclaiming. This fireplace has Sid and Nancy portraits on the mantle piece.
PwwFUoR.jpg

And this is an excellent use of a un-used outside cupboard or outside toilet, or whatever it once was. This has to be the big bad wolf from the classic fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood^_^
UAhLTDa.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom