Street Art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LOL @booze and cake :laugh:

It's one of these. In fact, I think it's this exact car i.e. second generation Formula E :biggrin:

gen2_front-3quarter-r-l.jpg?width=500&height=333.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Yes that looks like it, good work, the motor sport ace aced it:okay:

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
My brother has just been to America, New Jersey specifically, and I tipped him off about a huge David Bowie mural there, and asked if he was able to get me a picture of it. He has and its brilliant. Before we get to that it was my day off today so I hit a few Bowie spots and made an afternoon of it. I live near Brixton and Bowie was born in 40 Stansfield Road, so I went past it today, no blue plaque or anything, but here it is.
pdFXsf2.jpg

Shortly after he died a mural by Jimmy C popped up just off the high street in Brixton, which I featured in the first few pages of this thread, seen again here:
jwC9jrK.jpg

Before they were famous, he and fellow future glam rock star Marc Bolan used to hang around a long gone coffee shop at 9 Denmark Street called La Gioconda. There are reports Bowie may have even lived temporarily in a converted ambulance on Denmark St. I featured Denmark St back on page 19 as it has a long and famous musical history, and was known as Tin Pan Alley. I got some Chuck Berry street art and reported that the Sex Pistols rehearsed at number 6, and some old Johnny Rotten graffiti found on a wall in a back room helped secure the buildings Grade 2 listed status, see here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/post-5012409
I found out today that the person who Malcolm Mclaren rented number 6 from for the Sex Pistols to rehearse back then was Bill Collins, dad of Lewis Collins of The Professionals fame. Before Lewis was famous he worked in a hairdressers in Liverpool alongside Mike McCartney, Paul from the Beatles' younger brother. He may or may not have approved of what follows.^_^

54 years ago this month a BBC researcher sauntered into La Gioconda looking for young men to interview with this new fangled long hair that was sweeping the nation, even on men *gasp*. There they found a 17 year old Bowie, who was a stranger to hairdressers back then, having recently created the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-Haired Men, which resulted in an appearance on the Tonight show with Cliff Michelmore in 1964.

It turns out Bowie later signed to an agent who was based next door to La Gioconda at number 7 Denmark St, and he made his first recordings in Denmark St.

By the time of Bowie's breakthrough album, 'The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars' he was recording in Trident studios in Soho. By chance today, the 8th of November was the date he started recording it back in 1971. The cover for that album was shot in January 1972 outside 23 Heddon St, just off Regent St. Shot in black and white it had colour added afterwards to give it its distinctive look.
IGRLBBH.jpg

Its now a car-free street and looks completely different with expensive restaurants, the only thing that remains is the street light.
ZbI7l0h.jpg

But it has a plaque to mark the spot.
nLvwHgR.jpg

So after all that build up time for my brothers pics. The artwork was done by Brazilian Eduardo Kobra. I have featured him before in this thread, he did the excellent John Lennon in Bristol I got back on page 18, seen again here:
eJUKYwI.jpg

And here's his Bowie
6frA0FA.jpg

And I absolutely love this photo, the skies are amazing, cheers bro:cheers:
Ruj1iRe.jpg

I also discovered today that Eduardo has been credited in the Guinness Book of World Records with the creation of the largest street art mural in the world in Rio. Called 'The Ethnicities', it features faces from the 5 different continents represented by the Olympic rings, and was done as part of the Olympics in 2016, see pics here. Amazing work. https://www.boredpanda.com/world-la...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Last edited:
This one popped up on the live feed from the Brazilian GP on the BBC Sport website... Right up my street... :whistle:

Fernando, Stoffel, Valteri and Lewis... And Bernie... :giggle: Somewhere in Sao Paulo.

774dc46b-98b3-45ac-8374-9ae056a5c8fb.jpg

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A rather moody looking estate in Kilburn has had a bit of a makeover and received a welcome splash of colour. Arranged by the good folk at Global Street Art, who also plan to decorate 5 more London estates during 2019, artists from around the world were invited to display samples of their work.

First up we have this mix of ladybird, wasp and cricket together with some kind of huge millipede, by Ceepil who is from Austria.
bmlQ81b.jpg
kIa4x6Z.jpg

LVL3YTY.jpg

etX1I9g.jpg

This is by Naveen Shakil from Pakistan.
0mZgpZ2.jpg

Here we have a Hunto on the left, and the squid is by Magilina from Italy.
PxDW1Ba.jpg

The quote is by Chilean poet and politician Pablo Neruda, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971 and was rumoured to be bumped off by Pinochet in 1973. According to wiki his body was exhumed in 2013 to try and determine if he was murdered as suspected.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...icial-cause-of-death-does-not-reflect-reality
Over 45 years after his death and the answer following that investigation was inconclusive, but serious concerns were raised and further investigations requested, the results of which were due this year. The Chilean Government continue to act shadily over the whole affair, and these reports indicate they are deliberately dragging their heels, and refusing to pay the foreign laboratories that are investigating, in a seemingly desperate attempt to keep it all hushed up.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainmen...debt-blocks-tests-on-poet-s-remains-1.4084106
https://www.plenglish.com/index.php...-case-awaits-response-from-chilean-government
This one reminds me of the 'wafts' from the old Bisto gravy adverts in the 80's, or could even represent the smell coming from the bins^_^. Its by Guiliano Marinzurro of Brazil.
W0i7Ajo.jpg

And this is my favourite one of the day by Fuzillear, loving the squirrel:okay:
CO27sXJ.jpg

Top Bottom