Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"Special motion"?

You flick your foot sideways instead of lifting it. Try it, it's easy.
Easy it may be, but it's hardly a benefit.

I ride SPDs cos they are easier to engage than toeclips. I rode toeclips because ... er ... because that's what I did.

My SPD shoes are perfectly normal looking. The only giveaway is the velcro strap that holds the laces down and stops them getting caught (theoretically). They also work fine on the flats on my Brommie.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I had to pick up a bike today and deliver it 10 miles across London. Easiest way to transport a bike from A to B is by riding it, of course, so that's what I did.

Lovely lightweight aero road bike, designed for going proper fast, so of course I fitted a pair of manky old flat plastic pedals because a) that's what I had available, and b) I was in trainers, not cycling shoes. And it was absolutely fine. I think the cassette must be a bit worn, because at one point when I changed gear the chain skipped and that caused my foot to slip slightly, but I didn't fall under a bus or anything silly like that. Phew!

Also, I didn't wear padded lycra shorts, just my normal everyday jeans, and no lump of plastic on my head either. It's almost like you don't actually need this stuff to be able to ride a bike...

Having said that, I will of course be reverting to full MAMIL mode for this Sunday's club ride - lycra, helmet, sporty shades, clipless pedals, mitts, gels stuffed in back pocket. You've got to keep up appearances, right? Might even shave my legs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had to pick up a bike today and deliver it 10 miles across London. Easiest way to transport a bike from A to B is by riding it, of course, so that's what I did.

Lovely lightweight aero road bike, designed for going proper fast, so of course I fitted a pair of manky old flat plastic pedals because a) that's what I had available, and b) I was in trainers, not cycling shoes. And it was absolutely fine. I think the cassette must be a bit worn, because at one point when I changed gear the chain skipped and that caused my foot to slip slightly, but I didn't fall under a bus or anything silly like that. Phew!

Also, I didn't wear padded lycra shorts, just my normal everyday jeans, and no lump of plastic on my head either. It's almost like you don't actually need this stuff to be able to ride a bike...

Having said that, I will of course be reverting to full MAMIL mode for this Sunday's club ride - lycra, helmet, sporty shades, clipless pedals, mitts, gels stuffed in back pocket. You've got to keep up appearances, right? Might even shave my legs.
Poseur. :whistle:

Top Bottom