Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Sorry but another clipless pedals thread. I have been on four rides so far with my new clipless pedals. I haven't fallen off yet, but I have had a few close calls. A vehicle was reversing into a drive and I only managed to unclip in time. A few other times I have failed to unclip the first time and have only just managed to unclip in time the second time round. Another thing that has happened a few times is that I have unclipped but then my foot has gone back in to being clipped by accident. I'm struggling just with the idea that I might not be able to unclip sometime. I like the performance benefits and I will stick at them for a while but at the moment they seems quite dangerous around town. I've had lots of helpful advice about them so far and so not really looking for advice (unless you want to :tongue:) and I'm not sure there's much I haven't already heard. I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Perseverance will win the day

You'll learn how to anticipate when to unclip fairly quickly, or you'll end up with lots of bruises. That's what it comes down to, learn to anticipate when to unclip. If in doubt, unclip. Better safe than sorry.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry but another clipless pedals thread. I have been on four rides so far with my new clipless pedals. I haven't fallen off yet, but I have had a few close calls. A vehicle was reversing into a drive and I only managed to unclip in time. A few other times I have failed to unclip the first time and have only just managed to unclip in time the second time round. Another thing that has happened a few times is that I have unclipped but then my foot has gone back in to being clipped by accident. I'm struggling just with the idea that I might not be able to unclip sometime. I like the performance benefits and I will stick at them for a while but at the moment they seems quite dangerous around town. I've had lots of helpful advice about them so far and so not really looking for advice (unless you want to :tongue:) and I'm not sure there's much I haven't already heard. I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Its possible, in at least one of the instances you describe, that you are actually unclipping roo early.

Either way, as others have said try a multi directional pedal/cleat system. Or go back to pedals.

Its odd, I never had any problems getting used to clipless, so perhaps some riders are just not meant to use them, or ride In a way that means the systems are not right for them.

It'll become habit. You'll develop a sixth sense, it's almost as if I'm unclipped anticipating a stop before I realise I am about to, IYKWIM

Accidental clipping back in happens sometimes, try to pedal on the arches of your feet if you want to stay unclipped for a couple of rotations.

I find flat pedals almost impossible now with my feet coming off the pedals on the upstroke. When in flats i still kick my heals out as I am slowing. Habit.

If you have the chance to go to a spinning class, you could try with them there.

Naturally there's no risk of falling of, or coming to a stop, but if you can repeat the clicking in/out several times, finding out which is your dominant foot, then it should help you when you're out on the road. It worked for me. :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like the performance benefits.

Worth bearing in mind there are no direct performance benefits from clipless.

Unless you spin at a very high cadence and have trouble with your feet flying off platform pedals.

I say 'direct' benefit, because some cyclists prefer the feel of being connected to the bike.

A happy, 'connected' cyclist is more likely to apply more a bit more power than one who feels less at one with the bike.

The Global Cycling Network channel did a video to test platforms v clipless.

They found no detectable benefit at their club roadie level, and one of them put out marginally more power on platforms - within the realm of measurement error.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNedIJBZpgM

Top Bottom