Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
You'll learn how to anticipate when to unclip fairly quickly, or you'll end up with lots of bruises. That's what it comes down to, learn to anticipate when to unclip. If in doubt, unclip. Better safe than sorry.

I suspect the constant need to anticipate things is probably a really good thing in terms of your safety. It's a bit like the spike in a steering wheel analogy, except there are tangible benefits too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Manufacturer led research v independent science - hmm, that's a tough one. There are other studies which show the same/similar findings. How many will it take to overcome your cognitive dissonance? - http://iom3.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19424280.2016.1140817?src=recsys&journalCode=tfws20

Well why do I find it "easier" to cycle when clipped in? For me at least it's worth the "special shoes" thing, which I'd usually regard as a big nuisance. I sympathise with the "can't be arsed" view of clipless pedals, or toe clips, but saying they're pointless is frankly silly

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I must say that, having moved to clipless sometime in the last century, I hardly notice the unclipping* action—the foot goes down when I stop. Much less faff than clips and straps. One thing I have found (with SPDs) is they work perfectly well on minimum tension, even on fixed, so no need to make life more difficult by winding them tight (new ones, I loosen off until the screw is free then just tighten until it bites).

* Yes, I know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I tried clipless when they first came out, I didn't get on with them and went back to clips and straps, some years later I went back to clipless but still couldn't get on with them and again went back to clips and straps. Middle of last year I brought a pair of spd click R pedals, the ones that are light release, and I'm still using them. These are the first ones I'm comfortable with and I'm starting to get to the stage where I'm releasing without having to think about it, I've also had a couple of unplanned releases recently, pulling away from junctions and recon I may have to move to something thats a bit tighter.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-PD-T400-Click-R-Pedal_58409.htm

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well why do I find it "easier" to cycle when clipped in?
Maybe you're poor at positioning your feet, maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe it's something else. There really doesn't seem to be any scientifically proven benefit, does there?

Racers are sponsored and there's more money in fancy shoes and pedals than firm shoes and rubber blocks, but if you like sugar pills, feel free to keep sucking on Minstrels!

I'm not sure how long I used clips before going back to plain pedals but I never went to clipless cleats because I can't trust my knees and ankles which sometimes lock up anyway.

Rohloff Boy

I started with Shimano SPD Clipless back in 2000 but hated them, gave them a year but still no joy.

I then switched to SpeedPlay Frogs (SS), what a difference, cycled from Manchester to Scotland a few times, so they have had more than a soak test over the years.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I started off on Onza Ho pedals which used elastomers instead of steel springs. In hot weather they would go all soft and release at the slightest bump and in cold weather they'd go rock hard and keep my feet locked no matter how much I struggled to get free. I don't miss them.
However, back on topic....in time you will get used to clipless pedals as you did when starting cycling. You get on your bike and ride without thinking bout it right? Same with spd's.
I have platform bits clipped into one side of my pedals so I'm not having to fart about swapping pedals if I'm using 'normal' shoes though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=16PGQB3YBF6K0W4ETM6C&dpPl=1&dpID=81lC7g+ss5L

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I was always sure I would remain with flatties but am now extremely happy with SPD,s on their loosest setting and SH56 cleats. Touch wood, no falls so far although I have had two unexpected stops when I panicked and just pulled and they released. I briefly tried flats again a couple of months ago and didn't like them much any more. It definitely does become habit to release them without much thought the more you use them.

Lonestar

Veteran
I started off on Onza Ho pedals which used elastomers instead of steel springs. In hot weather they would go all soft and release at the slightest bump and in cold weather they'd go rock hard and keep my feet locked no matter how much I struggled to get free. I don't miss them.
However, back on topic....in time you will get used to clipless pedals as you did when starting cycling. You get on your bike and ride without thinking bout it right? Same with spd's.
I have platform bits clipped into one side of my pedals so I'm not having to fart about swapping pedals if I'm using 'normal' shoes though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003BHBOP4/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_200_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=16PGQB3YBF6K0W4ETM6C&dpPl=1&dpID=81lC7g+ss5L

Good idea I like that.I've always managed though for the last twenty years I've been using SPD's.

Apparently reading the reviews they aren't so good.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bpd-90-feetrest-spd-pedal-adaptors/

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Maybe you're poor at positioning your feet, maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe it's something else. There really doesn't seem to be any scientifically proven benefit, does there?

Racers are sponsored and there's more money in fancy shoes and pedals than firm shoes and rubber blocks, but if you like sugar pills, feel free to keep sucking on Minstrels!

I'm not sure how long I used clips before going back to plain pedals but I never went to clipless cleats because I can't trust my knees and ankles which sometimes lock up anyway.

So why are you giving advice on clipless pedals if you've never tried them?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Do you seriously think racing cyclists have been riding with their feet attached to the pedals for well over a century only because sponsors make them? There are real benefits to clipless pedals, the first being a safety one. Just because some people can't manage them and are happier on flats doesn't alter that.

Top Bottom