Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe you're poor at positioning your feet, maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe it's something else. There really doesn't seem to be any scientifically proven benefit, does there?

Racers are sponsored and there's more money in fancy shoes and pedals than firm shoes and rubber blocks, but if you like sugar pills, feel free to keep sucking on Minstrels!

I'm not sure how long I used clips before going back to plain pedals but I never went to clipless cleats because I can't trust my knees and ankles which sometimes lock up anyway.

I think Shimano would pay handsomely for somebody to win the Tour in flats, a marketing win for sure.

al3xsh

Über Member
@Welsh wheels

You've already had the answer upt-hread.

Get some SH56's - they are fool-proof for Newbies to clipless.

£12 or thereabouts and 10 minutes with an Allen Key.

This!

SH56 multi release cleats and dialing the retention out to the minimum that will hold the cleats in.

In the last 2 1/2 years riding clip less I haven't had my foot slip off the pedal and the pedal smack me in the shin! I had that happen several times before switching!

A

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So why are you giving advice on clipless pedals if you've never tried them?
Firstly, clips are more effective than clipless because you really can push up... but no one really does much if you read the studies, rather than pull up on the shoe and have it all strain in strange ways.

Secondly, if you actually read the thread, I'm not giving advice on them - I'm advising strongly against them. An earlier post called them "a death trap" which is going a bit far but they are an unnecessary injury risk with little benefit for casual cycling.

screenman

Legendary Member
Firstly, clips are more effective than clipless because you really can push up... but no one really does much if you read the studies, rather than pull up on the shoe and have it all strain in strange ways.

Secondly, if you actually read the thread, I'm not giving advice on them - I'm advising strongly against them. An earlier post called them "a death trap" which is going a bit far but they are an unnecessary injury risk with little benefit for casual cycling.

What is this casual cycling you write about? I personally have had more injuries from the days I rode flats than since, but if course that could be down to lots of reasons.

mjr

As others have said, the safety advantage is your feet remaining on the pedals even on wet, rough or bumpy roads. It can also be safer to bunny hop over pot holes rather than risk swerving into traffic.
If you can't bunny hop with flat pedals, then you shouldn't be trying it clipped in IMO else you'll risk leg injuries.

As others have said, good flat pedals will keep feet on them even on wet, rough or bumpy roads. Don't judge them by the shiny slippy ones given away with bikes or sold ludicrously cheap.

(Edited to add link to bunny hop instructions.)

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian

OK, so why are you advising strongly against something you've never tried? What evidence do you have of an unnecessary injury risk? What leg injuries are you likely to get bunny hopping clipped in that you wouldn't get unclipped?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A sudden hazard appeared, I tried to unclip but failed, due I think to twisting from the centre of my foot rather than the ankle. I only just managed to unclip before falling off after trying the second time.

Oh, I see! I totally had a different idea what you meant. My bad - I blame being v.tired after yesterday's ride.

Tbh, I just think it sounds like you need more practice - find a quiet road and practise clipping in and out along with stopping and starting.

Also as some others have said, if you really can't get on with them, don't feel obliged to keep on using them if you don't want to.

mjr

OK, so why are you advising strongly against something you've never tried?
Because it's not that different to clipped and the advocates are writing nonsense about it being more efficient or easier when most tests have failed to find any significant advantage in those ways.

What evidence do you have of an unnecessary injury risk?
People falling over when they wouldn't if they weren't clipped in. Usually only bruises. Occasionally a broken bone. I don't know if a clipless fall into traffic has resulted in death.

What leg injuries are you likely to get bunny hopping clipped in that you wouldn't get unclipped?
None if you can hop anyway, but if you can't hop properly (with the bars first) and try to do it instead by yanking the bike into the air with your clipped-in feet, you could easily pull something... or possibly accidentally unclip!

Mr Celine

Discordian
Because it's not that different to clipped

And how do you know that?

Having used flats, clips with and without straps, SPDs and SPD-SLs I can state, from my own experience, that clipless is very different from clipped.

Anyway, never having tried a recumbent I'm off to their sub-forum to give them the benefit of my opinions on why I think they're doing it wrong.

boydj

Legendary Member
I find it difficult to ride unclipped, even on good quality MTB pedals. I find the unweighted foot just moves about too much and can lose contact. I think I'm safer clipped in, because I can unclip without thinking, even in an emergency, and my feet are secure when the going is rough.

Top Bottom