Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Practice unclipping at random for a while till you get more used to them. I kept mine for about 3 years and then dumped them. One of my better decisions and I now use flats only.

Yeah, flat pedals, sooo much better than clipless, they are the future, definitely, or not. The best thing about clipless pedals are that you can maintain a smooth power output, given that your Cadence can be kept more consistent. This results in a relatively quicker avarage speed, for an optimal effort, which is far less fatiguing on a long ride, but hey, don't let a little thing like scientific facts and actual data sway any judgements.

Mr Celine

Discordian
The Global Cycling Network channel did a video to test platforms v clipless.

They found no detectable benefit at their club roadie level, and one of them put out marginally more power on platforms - within the realm of measurement error.

I'll bear that in mind next time I ride on a treadmill, or on an equally smooth pot hole free surface, but I'm not likely to be doing either any time soon.

Back in the real world I now find riding on flats like driving a car without a seat belt. It just doesn't feel right.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yeah, flat pedals, sooo much better than clipless, they are the future, definitely, or not. The best thing about clipless pedals are that you can maintain a smooth power output, given that your Cadence can be kept more consistent. This results in a relatively quicker avarage speed, for an optimal effort, which is far less fatiguing on a long ride, but hey, don't let a little thing like scientific facts and actual data sway any judgements.
That's very important when you're riding about town.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll bear that in mind next time I ride on a treadmill, or on an equally smooth pot hole free surface, but I'm not likely to be doing either any time soon.

Back in the real world I now find riding on flats like driving a car without a seat belt. It just doesn't feel right.

And the hissing rain especially.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Welsh Wheels. Some questions you need to ask yourself.
What benefit are these pedals and shoes providing?
can i measure any benefits?
Is using them more dangerous?
Is any benefit they may provide outweighed by the disadvantages using them?
Am i just using them now to justify the purchace cost?

Lonestar

Veteran
Four rides is nothing.You don't get used to them straight away and you've got to give them a chance...I found a pic of my Audax on my computer today and it was fitted with SPD's ten years ago when new...I've been using them longer than that though and now ride fixie with them fitted....and yes in the early days I had clipless moments and fell off....One of them being down Leyton High Street on a match day.Quite embarrassing..

I don't think you'd regret it if you persevered....I certainly don't but when I was using flats they kept ruining my trainers so I had to do something.

S-Express

Science, eh.... :laugh: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18418807

Eight elite cyclists (C) and seven non-cyclists (NC) performed three different bouts at 90 rev . min (-1) and 60 % of their maximal aerobic power. They pedalled with single pedals (PED), with clipless pedals (CLIP) and with a pedal force feedback (CLIPFBACK) where subjects were asked to pull up on the pedal during the upstroke. There was no significant difference for pedalling effectiveness, net mechanical efficiency (NE) and muscular activity between PED and CLIP.

S-Express

Top Bottom