Struggling with clipless pedals rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are two reasons I ride clipped pedals and before that toe clips: To keep my feet on the pedals and to stop my right foot pigeon toeing out too far and my heel fouling the stay. If there are other benefits to be had from power around the stroke, I don't get them. I'm a lumpy pedaller in terms of power application.

Do you seriously think racing cyclists have been riding with their feet attached to the pedals for well over a century only because sponsors make them? There are real benefits to clipless pedals, the first being a safety one. Just because some people can't manage them and are happier on flats doesn't alter that.

IMO, this is the real benefit.

Sprinting in the rain, I'd certainly rather be attached to the pedal. High speed cycling, I'd again certainly preferred to be attached.

But more efficient, I'm not buying it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just try them a bit longer, the knack should be coming to you pretty soon. It's not a mystical art or anything, once you get it you do it without thinking.

And if you don't, it's not the end of the world... other pedals work about as well (which as you can see is open to debate!) Clipless just feel "right" for many, I'm certainly one of those.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Do you seriously think racing cyclists have been riding with their feet attached to the pedals for well over a century only because sponsors make them? There are real benefits to clipless pedals, the first being a safety one. Just because some people can't manage them and are happier on flats doesn't alter that.
What safety advantages would you say there are to clipless pedals? At the moment they seem more dangerous, so if there are safety advantages to them I'll be a happier man.

Milzy

Guru
They work well, but I've found that they can become uncliped when you'd rather they didn't, on account of their ability to release on a pull up. I quite like them on my urban / light trail bike's shoes , but anything more involved or very rough stuff, and they can be a bit of a 'mare.
I've heard this a lot but I use them with no problems. Have my pedals tight so they feel the same as standard really.

Drago

Legendary Member
For me, keeping secure on uneven surfaces, bumps, and in the wet. I get on fine with them, have never had a moment.

I have a theory - its a controversial one, but one I've developed in 9 years as a cycle trainer. And that is many people have problems with clipless because they move to them before their fundamental cycling skills are up to scratch.

In your case Welshy I doubt my theory will apply, aimed as it is more at returnees to cycling who, with creditable enthusiasm, rush out and go clipless because they see their chums, or that Bradley Armstrong fellow using them.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
For me, keeping secure on uneven surfaces, bumps, and in the wet. I get on fine with them, have never had a moment.

I have a theory - its a controversial one, but one I've developed in 9 years as a cycle trainer. And that is many people have problems with clipless because they move to them before their fundamental cycling skills are up to scratch.

In your case Welshy I doubt my theory will apply, aimed as it is more at returnees to cycling who, with creditable enthusiasm, rush out and go clipless because they see their chums, or that Bradley Armstrong fellow using them.
I have been riding for about 7 years, but since getting clipless pedals, I feel a bit like I need to learn how to ride again! It's a different skillset.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
A sudden hazard appeared, I tried to unclip but failed, due I think to twisting from the centre of my foot rather than the ankle. I only just managed to unclip before falling off after trying the second time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What safety advantages would you say there are to clipless pedals? At the moment they seem more dangerous, so if there are safety advantages to them I'll be a happier man.
You're foot won't slip off the pedal, with possibly catastrophic consequences.

Like I said, clipless (Like everything else) are not for everyone, but I've used them since they came out, I've never had a problem with unclipping which was instinctive from day one and I would not ride without them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't overthink it, just be ready to unclip. Keep your eyes on what's going on around you, unclip early, even too early coming to lights or an obstacle, don't ride too close to the car in front. It'll become second nature soon enough :smile:

I can have weeks, even months off the bike, but never have an issue using clipless after a lay off

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
You're foot won't slip off the pedal, with possibly catastrophic consequences.

Like I said, clipless (Like everything else) are not for everyone, but I've used them since they came out, I've never had a problem with unclipping which was instinctive from day one and I would not ride without them.
Ok thanks

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If your a racer who needs to put in sudden massive bursts of power in a sprint or if you ride fixed then you may need to be attached.For the average cyclist please your self but dont be influenced by the nonsense spouted about the speed and safety advantages of clipless.

A decent set of flat pedals with pins such as DMR V8 or similar will not let your foot slip.

Mine never do on rides up to 300 km .
Also its much easier to restart on a steep hill on flats and you can wear whatever you find comfortable at no cost to your average speed.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
As others have said, the safety advantage is your feet remaining on the pedals even on wet, rough or bumpy roads. It can also be safer to bunny hop over pot holes rather than risk swerving into traffic.

And Welsh Wheels if you haven't fallen off yet you're doing a lot better than l did when I went clipless.

Top Bottom