Student protests in London tomorrow (Weds).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you look at JtM's post #3 you'd see that he wasn't defending the police or decrying peaceful protest, but mourning its demise due to a set of circumstances and positions.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you look at JtM's post #3 you'd see that he wasn't defending the police or decrying peaceful protest, but mourning its demise due to a set of circumstances and positions.

If only I'd actually said that!

Genuinely, given the shouty tone of the forum recently, I'm sorry for derailing this thread.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Aaaanyway. This post was purely to alert London commuters that it may get congested and excitable in areas likely to be affected by demonstrations. Politics aside, be careful out there if cycling home today :-)

Buddfox

Veteran
There were police vans everywhere. Along the embankment, I must have seen at least 30, all heading up towards Parliament Square. Lots more police on bikes (PTWs) about as well. They were putting up barriers in Parliament Square last night too.

Tonight, I'll definitely be heading south of the river and crossing back over further down, just not worth the risk of getting caught up or blocked in inadvertently. There may or may not be trouble on the protest, but either way the roads will be fouled up something rotten.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't have a problem with your actual peaceful coppers, but when over 300 people have died in police custody and not one single officer has faced charges I'm content to presume a lot of old bill are violent thugs protected by their job. I hope it's peaceful tomorrow. Stay safe.

from the numbers involved i would content to opine that a lot of students are thugs too. doesn't actually make it true though , as much as the media would like to make you think.

I hope its peaceful as there are other proests out today , one that is close to me is the sparks protest at the deskilling of the trade and paycuts by the back door. hope it doesn't turn sour

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Heading south I've found the Waterloo Bridge before heading down through Vauxhall to be a nice route (I cycle from Mornington Crescent). Saying that, you never know where the protesters will pop up (they may feel the Waterloo side of Westminster Bridge is a good place to congregate).

Silly me I forgot to mount the water gun turret on my handlebars linking to a bladder in my backpack. Guess I'll have to take my chances with speed and know-how alone!

dawesome

1.13pm:

The Press Association has been speaking to marchers about the police's comments about being able to use plastic bullets in extreme circumstances.

Beth Atkinson, 27, from London, said:

It is ludicrous. It is antagonistic, it is like they are egging on a fight, which is frankly embarrassing.

John Roberts, a 25-year-old architect from London, said:

I have got friends who haven't come along because of the threat of rubber bullets.

Sheridan Few, 24, a PhD student at Imperial College London, said:

I think it makes it even more important - we shouldn't be intimidated.

PA reports chants of "no ifs, no buts, no education cuts" and "David Cameron **** off back to Eton". They also shouted: "You can shove your rubber bullets up your arse."

http://www.guardian....blog?intcmp=122

martint235

Dog on a bike
Has it not kicked off yet then? I usually work opposite the Cenotaph but am off sick today
sad.gif
. I also don't have Sky anymore who were usually good for riot coverage, I did have the BBC on but they were showing Mrs May trying to hold onto her job

Gooner Mad Dog

I have just been out for lunch students??? are being herded towards Strand > St Pauls route I hope so because am basically 20m from Parliament Sq and my cycle home would be a bit too eventfull.

Jezston

Über Member
I know, just highlighting them as examples of the unacceptable behaviour we had to put up with last time.

We didn't 'have to put up with it' per se - people were arrested, charged and sentenced.

The kid who threw a fire extinguisher off a roof got 2 years. The guys who tried, but failed, to organise riots on Facebook got fourteen years.

Meanwhile, riot police enjoy the right to beat the crap out of often weak and defenseless people with complete and absolute impunity.

Top Bottom