Student protests in London tomorrow (Weds).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
We didn't 'have to put up with it' per se - people were arrested, charged and sentenced.

The kid who threw a fire extinguisher off a roof got 2 years. The guys who tried, but failed, to organise riots on Facebook got fourteen years.

Meanwhile, riot police enjoy the right to beat the crap out of often weak and defenseless people with complete and absolute impunity.

I'm not saying that the police are saints (they are just people and as such there will be lovely policemen and evil, sadistic policemen), but I don't think you can justify that sort of behaviour on the grounds that "other people do worse things".

The phrase "And would you jump in the fire if the police did it?" springs to mind.

dawesome

I'm not saying that the police are saints (they are just people and as such there will be lovely policemen and evil, sadistic policemen), but I don't think you can justify that sort of behaviour on the grounds that "other people do worse things".

The phrase "And would you jump in the fire if the police did it?" springs to mind.

I didn't notice anyone "justifying" anything, merely pointing out that violent coppers requently get away with it. Harwood story about being assaulted with thrown bottles would have stood had a witness's footage been found.

MissTillyFlop

I didn't notice anyone "justifying" anything, merely pointing out that violent coppers requently get away with it. Harwood story about being assaulted with thrown bottles would have stood had a witness's footage been found.

And they shouldn't, there should be a clampdown on police brutality, (but also striking a balance between that and being completely ineffective out of fear of public perception - see the riots).

And neither should the jumped up popstars' children.

My original point was that the last three student protests have done more to derail the anti-spending cuts cause than anything anyone else has done as they made it so easy for the press and politicans alike to point and say "look these are the sort of people getting YOUR TAX MONEY!".

Then the rioters did the same (even though a great many of them weren't on benefits, but why bother with facts, when you could sell some newspapers?).

If the students turn up, have a peaceful protest and make some well-reasoned, eloquent arguments about why the education system shouldn't be turned into an old boys network then I am am 100% behind them and applaud them for doing so.

If they're going to turn up drunk and fall about making idiots of themselves then I think they should stay at home.

dawesome

UNWASHED POP STARS' SONS WITH LONG HAIR STUDENT RABBLE, CALL THEMSELVES TRENDSETTERS LOOK MORE LIKE RED SETTERS TO ME LOL.

MissTillyFlop

UNWASHED POP STARS' SONS WITH LONG HAIR STUDENT RABBLE, CALL THEMSELVES TRENDSETTERS LOOK MORE LIKE RED SETTERS TO ME LOL.

Welcome to being old.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ooh, BBC have now got all clever and we have split screen. Difficult to tell from the overhead shot but it looks like the students are contained on Fleet Street

martint235

Dog on a bike
Of all the places to send them - now the journalists don't even have to leave the office to take horribly out of context pictures.

There's only Reuters still on Fleet Street isn't there? And they would never do such a thing.

Home Office questions is more riotous than the student thing at the mo

flogster

Hi all,
I work in EC1, up Farringdon way and cycle home via Blackfriars bridge now as preferred route.

Heard on grapevine that Blackfriars bridge may be closed later along with waterloo? Not sure how much creedence but just a heads up.

Top Bottom