Stupid names for everyday things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Before payments went electronic pension books and the like used to be printed in house by the DWP. The printing machines used to be housed in some old army huts round the back. Each book was stamped by one of two members of staff using a machine called a bonker. Think of the fun when asked at party what do you for job.:smile:

I remember those from my time working in a County Court. Sets of nine documents had to be bonked. :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
Where I worked, the Personnel department, once decided to be much posher and redesignate itself as Human Resources.

We refer to ours as “Human Remains” (They used to be PersonHell)

Slick

Guru
Swede - it's a turnip.
Only it's not. ^_^

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Safety cameras. They dont photograph peop,e driving safely.

They're speed cameras. Speeding is bad, and we should be apologetic or pander to the opinion of offenders. Call them what they are.

I did once do some work with a company who’s employees had rather grandiose titles, including “Director of User Happiness” and “Chief Futurologist”.
You won’t be surprised to learn that the company was Google.
I trust that the first was a happy soul.
And that the second didn't get the sack but didn't see it coming.
(second thought from my publishing days - the big head honcho took pleasure on a visit from telling us that the company's star astrologer didn't see his contract termination coming)

Slioch

Guru
And how about the "Police Force" attempts to rebrand themselves as the "Police Service". At the risk of sounding political and being forever exiled to the NACA part of the forum, I read this as them trying to wriggle out of the responsibility of "enforcing the law" to "servicing the diktats of their political masters".

Top Bottom