Sub £500 folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’ve found looking at second hand a bit of a minefield, I’m sure it’s not as bad as I have it in my head but weary of buying in case they are nicked.

I've never bought a used bike then thought afterwards "why did I pay good money for this heap of junk?" I have bought a couple of junkers for spare parts, but I knew full well they were junkers and I've only ever paid a fiver or so at the most for that sort of bike.
The better bikes I've bought very cheaply have always pleasantly surprised me by their condition. I've even been pleasantly surprised by skip fodder.
I'm not concerned about buying a nicked bike because the price and age profile of the stuff I'm interested in is such that there is very little profit in nicking them so are highly unlikely to be stolen. If I bought more mainstream modern stuff then I would be wary, but I only buy steel frames that are typically at least 25 if not 30 years old. I'm not interested in anything made of aluminium or carbon fibre, or with brifters or disc brakes.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

OOS !

Tredz have tern stock - but not at £379 !!!

But they do have a Freespirit Ruck for £380.
Are they any good, have to say I’ve never heard of them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Freespirit bikes are a low end far east import, one level above a BSO in my book. I found one of their "Tracker" MTBs dumped in the street. The mechanicals are all low end Shimano, and the frame a hefty welded steel job made from oversize tubing. Perfectly useable as a local beater/pub bike. Not so ideal to do significant distances on.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Freespirit bikes are a low end far east import, one level above a BSO in my book. I found one of their "Tracker" MTBs dumped in the street. The mechanicals are all low end Shimano, and the frame a hefty welded steel job made from oversize tubing. Perfectly useable as a local beater/pub bike. Not so ideal to do significant distances on.
Great, thanks. Feels like the sort of thing I’d want to be upgrading sooner than I could afford.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Bikes like that serve a certain market. They aren't that expensive so if you live or ride in a dodgy area they are less at risk of theft, and you lose less money if one does get stolen.
The realities of certain neighbourhoods mean it is often not sensible to ride a nice bike even if you can afford one. It's more about riding a bike you can actually keep hold of.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You can always ask if they have proof of purchase

You can ask, but don't expect too much. Out of all the secondhand ones I have acquired, over a dozen if you include the parts donors, I have got just one original purchase receipt.
If you insist on paperwork you are potentially going to pass up on some good bikes. Consider yourself lucky to get paperwork with any kind of household goods bought secondhand. Once something goes out of warranty, paperwork is not usually safely retained, it gets mislaid during moves or binned. If buying off eBay, it's easy to perform a bit of due diligence on the seller, by checking their feedback, how long they have been a member on the site, and what other stuff they have for sale. I always check out vendors before buying anything, previous sales and feedback comments are very telling, IMHO.

vickster

Legendary Member
isn’t most of the stuff you buy 20 years old plus And being sold for a few quid?

The OP is looking to spend up to £500, and other than a Brompton, used that should be a relatively new bike. If bought online, a seller should be able to access the proof of purchase via their account or email...if bought in a shop that is still trading, it should be accessible through their computerised system.
In my view any seller should be prepared to at least try get some paperwork. If they make implausible excuses, refuse to look and especially if they get shirty, walk away
Personally I keep pretty much all paperwork for anything over say £30 that has a warranty

12boy

Guru
If folding isn't critical and import duties aren't too steep you could consider a Bikes Direct mini velo at 292 pounds. It has a wide gear range, uses standard parts, has a chromo frame and the large size has a 934 cm wheelbase. I have one and I find it fun to ride and the frame is sturdy. I did repack the wheels and headset and grease the BB, since for some reason they skimp on grease. I have the large size and I am 5'8". The steering is twitchy like most small wheel, short wheelbase bikes but after a few miles I got used to it. Mine has SPDs, a leather saddle and bullhorn and a different stem than Stockard it feels lighter than my Brompton with the same saddle and a 3 speed hub. With the short wheelbase and low gearing it climbs very well.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

If folding isn't critical and import duties aren't too steep you could consider a Bikes Direct mini velo at 292 pounds. It has a wide gear range, uses standard parts, has a chromo frame and the large size has a 934 cm wheelbase. I have one and I find it fun to ride and the frame is sturdy. I did repack the wheels and headset and grease the BB, since for some reason they skimp on grease. I have the large size and I am 5'8". The steering is twitchy like most small wheel, short wheelbase bikes but after a few miles I got used to it. Mine has SPDs, a leather saddle and bullhorn and a different stem than Stockard it feels lighter than my Brompton with the same saddle and a 3 speed hub. With the short wheelbase and low gearing it climbs very well. View attachment 570456
Really interesting, I’ve not seen these before.

12boy

Guru
Here's my Brompton and my Xootr Swift. 3 different approaches to urban cycling and not a lot of storage for bikes. New York for the Swift, Tokyo for the minimal, and of course London for the Brompton. And here am I living in a small town where 5 cars at a stoplight is a damned traffic jam. I do love my little wheelers, though.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Here's my Brompton and my Xootr Swift. 3 different approaches to urban cycling and not a lot of storage for bikes. New York for the Swift, Tokyo for the minimal, and of course London for the Brompton. And here am I living in a small town where 5 cars at a stoplight is a damned traffic jam. I do love my little wheelers, though. View attachment 570464

View attachment 570465
I’ve not seen the Swift before, looks like a great bit of kit! Unfortunately looks like it’s been discontinued now, not a single one for sale on eBay uk.

12boy

Guru
They are very rigid, being hinged in front of the seat post, which holds the rear triangle and the front part together. It's sometimes found for sale here. Mine was $800 new and maybe worth $400 now although it has a couple of things like the VO Milan bars and the saddle. There was a guy in Oz that got a Chinese company to custom make Ti ones which were sweet.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

So after a few more days consideration I’m going for the Carrera. Although Halfords own brand they seem to have a fairly good reputation. It’s not at the top of my budget so some cash leftover for helmet, lights etc.
Thanks all for your advice and guidance.

Top Bottom