Sub 8kg bike for not too much money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wxbull

my secteur is probably 11kg or more but aiming for personal 8 kg loss this summer so will be like riding 3kg by august ;)

Tojo

Über Member
7.82kg mine came in at.
I've got mine down to 7.2kg, changed seat, hb stem, seat and have got my Zondas on, med frame by the way....:okay:

px-1-jpg.80871.jpg

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
err yes it does, its certainly noticeable but the best investment in bike lightening other than the rider losing weight is some proper stiff lightweight wheels!

My main criteria for a new bike is weight, and I have set a max weight of 8kgG on a budget of £1000 for complete.Road Bike from new. Naturally one assumes only carbon can deliver this sort of reasonable weight.
It's annoying that most manufacturers and some review sites don't give a total weight for a given specification.

Sound impossible?

My findings thus far....

Worlds lightest bike is £N/A 2.7 kg/ 6lb

Giant Defy 3 (Alu) £699 - 9.5kg total (For comparison to what I have)

Trek Emonda Sl5 (Car) £1900 - 8.1 kg (frame 1,050g)

Viner Gladium SRAM Rival 22 Road Bike (Car) £799.99 (frame 1,124G) - Don't have total weight.

Fuji Roubaix 1.1 (Alu) £875 8.58kg/18.93lb

KTM Revelator 3300 (Car), £1299 - 8.37kg/18.46lb

Canyon Ultimate CF SL9.0 (Car) £1899 - 7.45kg

Then I came across the ....

Trek Madone 2.1 Alu, £1000 - 8kg as reviewed in Cycling Weekly

Any other suggestions ?

@ianrauk I hope this thread has sufficient info

2015 Trek Madone is quoted as 8.9Kg, by Trek which means its probably a bit portlier

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is 2 kg going to make any difference?
Does it matter? Rooster has some cash he wants to spend and he knows what he wants to spend it on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget to allow a quarter of your budget for decent wheels. The Planet X carbon frame is £300, build your own bike, although with decent wheels, the price will creep up

The ultegra build is £900 now, although 105 isn't much heavier

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Does it matter? Rooster has some cash he wants to spend and he knows what he wants to spend it on.

To me yes, I've been climbing the same hills on the same bike for five years, the bike is older, and I am older, but I can't eeek out anymore speed - so I wan't to cheat and get a lighter bike so my climbs are quicker. I will still use my Alu Defy in the winter and training - but I wan't a smart summer "dry" weather bike. I can't afford or justify anything over £1100/1200, so I need the lightest machine for the least outlay.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What you want is what you want and you should spend the money how you see fit.

That being said 2kg won't make much difference to your climbing speed unless you are pretty lightweight overall. Probably almost undetectable (I await the anecdotes about sensations of floating uphill, Strava KOM's and Sportive conquering's), you are talking a couple of seconds here, a couple of seconds there. If that is what you are expecting, then great, if you are expecting a world of difference, it might be an idea to align expectations with reality.

Top Bottom