Sunday Cycling Restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Found a copy of this letter dating back to 2014 when I ran a Sunday Audax.

sunday cycling letter 2.jpg

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Classic!

Slick

Guru
Found a copy of this letter dating back to 2014 when I ran a Sunday Audax.

View attachment 460312
Couldn't be described as work of mercy or necessity but equally couldn't be described as work either.

This is worth a thread of it's own and it wasn't that long ago my golf course celebrated Sunday golf for the first time ever.

Some could probably argue that its kept development back in certain parts of Scotland, but whilst I don't agree with them, I do get where they are coming from.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The only other time I've heard of such strict Sabbath rules is from the Orthodox Jews in that Manchestah who aren't allowed to carry anything in their hand when walking to Synagogue. They get around it by erecting wires on poles to denote areas that are exempt from the rule. Pragmatism rules OK.

Slick

Guru
I'm sure the OP has far more experience than I have or most posters on here, but I do know a few who have very strong feelings about what Sunday is all about. The Sunday sailings for the ferry aren't that old and must have caused a bit of controversy even then. I'm not overly religious, but I do find it fascinating.

snorri

Legendary Member
It could be argued that cycling in order to rid the body of the effects of over indulgence on Saturday night would be a work of "neccessity and mercy".:whistle:

Top Bottom