Super Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm thinking that as I haven't bought a new bike for over a year, I might replace my Genesis Croix de Fer next year. So, time to start building my shortlist.

My criteria:
  • Steel frame - strong enough to take my daughter on her seat on the back
  • Good looks
  • Rack and mudguard mounts
  • Hydraulic discs
  • Flat bars (I do like the drop bars on the Croix de Fer, but I equally like flat bars, which will make the brakes easier to sort)
  • Either single speed or hub gears. I'm really torn on this - I like the idea of a single speed very much, but I worry I'll struggle with the few hills that are on my route.
  • Belt drive would be a bonus, for ultimate in low maintenance.
  • Possibly dynamo lights, but not a major factor
  • Sub £1,000
I quite like the Charge Grater 3 and the Cooper Casablanca

Another option is to keep the Croix de Fer frame, which is a fantastic frame, and convert it to a flat bar. Downside is that I'd probably have to stick with derailleur gears unless I took it to a frame builder.
I'd need:
Flat bar shifters that are compatible with Shimano 105 mechs.
A new stem
Flat handlebar
New hydraulic disc brakes and levers

Any thoughts?

potsy

Rambler
Isn't the Charge aluminium?

I have a similar thought for my next commuter bike, belt driven hub gears, will watch the thread with interest :thumbsup:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Isn't the Charge aluminium?

I have a similar thought for my next commuter bike, belt driven hub gears, will watch the thread with interest :thumbsup:

Good spot! I don't know why I thought it was steel, I must have been thinking of the plug.

potsy

Rambler
Go on Potsy, show him your canyon :wub:
You mean my future bike?
commuter-7_c1112.png

Top Bottom