Super Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I love Genesis bikes, and might well get one as my next road/weekend bike. I like drops when on leisure rides, but really prefer flats for riding in traffic.
The Genesis Smithfield, linked above, looks very nice. Might be a touch heavy though.

I'm not too bothered about Halfords - I can check myself whether they've put the forks on the right way, and 13 Bikes have had good reviews.
Get a Genesis frame and build with flats?

outlash

also available in orange
i believe the Genesis Smithfield is the same frame as the Day One, only with flat bars, guards and a rack. As you say, it's not a lightweight racer, any more than about 20 miles at a decent pace and you'll know about the extra weight. It is a lovely ride though. I did 55 miles on my Day One on Sunday morning as a distance test and just about managed it without getting on too much trouble.

Tony.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So now I'm thinking about building my own so I can get it just right.
If I buy a road frame, I can put flat bars on without too much bother I would imagine.

I do like the idea of a 1x11 setup, if I go for dérailleur rather than hub.

Does anyone know if I can put the SRAM X1 onto a flat bar road frame? Or is there an equivalent 1x11 groupset for road flat bars?

D

Deleted member 23692

Of those 4 I'd go for the 13.

I've got 42/20 gearing on the my Hyde and its just right 99% of the time so I'd consider the Ridgeback's 45/18 a tad high, especially if you have any hills around. The !3's 39t chainring gives a bit more scope in tweaking the rear sprocket to get the range you want out of the hub.

I've just put Vittoria Hyper Voyagers on mine and they are a super tyre - as they come as standards on the 13 that'd swing it for my along with the graphic which looks a lot more classy (AKSA expensive) that the IMO dated Ridgeback.

The other couple without IHG's don't really appeal as commuters

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yeah, I think I'm really leaning towards the 13. Just need to wait for the next c2w window at work.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Is that steel? I didn't think it was

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Planet X London Road
In terms of its ability to do the job I bought it for, it's the best bike I've bought

The 1x11 gears are perfect for commuting

Top Bottom