Super Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Some nice bikes on your list. I would have suggested the Revolution Courier disc Race as it offers some of what you are looking for. I do like the look of the Road Rat though.

Got to have hub gears, that's non-negotiable.
The Revolution Shadow could be added to the list, and on the Edinburgh Co-Op site they also have the Genesis Smithfield which looks nice.

Hey, the list is supposed to be getting shorter, not longer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
After doing much pondering, I think a belt drive is the way to go for a daily commuter.
Of the belt drives on my list, I like the Cube Hyde Race the best. I can get it here for £799 on interest free credit.

Any last additions for my consideration before I attempt to release the funds?

D

Deleted member 23692

Good luck trying to buy a Hyde Race at the mo. According to Cube (at the beginning of this month) they concentrating on completing back orders before there will be any in the shops to buy. They cite late Feb/early March for a date that that might happen. Luckily I was able to find a brand new never ridden (chain driven) 2013 model for a bargain price.

I did originally want a belt drive one, but on further research it's too big a leap of faith (and pocket) for me - spare belts, chainwheel and sprockets etc are a bugger to get in the UK. The tensioning tool is £50+ alone.

Otherwise the Hyde Race is a cracking bike regardless of whether it's belt or chain driven.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Good luck trying to buy a Hyde Race at the mo. According to Cube (at the beginning of this month) they concentrating on completing back orders before there will be any in the shops to buy. They cite late Feb/early March for a date that that might happen. Luckily I was able to find a brand new never ridden (chain driven) 2013 model for a bargain price.

I did originally want a belt drive one, but on further research it's too big a leap of faith (and pocket) for me - spare belts, chainwheel and sprockets etc are a bugger to get in the UK. The tensioning tool is £50+ alone.

Otherwise the Hyde Race is a cracking bike regardless of whether it's belt or chain driven.

Yeah, does seem to be as rare as hen's teeth at the moment.
Thought I had a store selling one, but it's the 2014 chain drive version.

Well, will let me think about it some more and make sure I'm making the right choice!

D

Deleted member 23692

I'll help with your thinking process with this...

HydeRace01-15Custom_zps9d02a95b.jpg

As I said above it's a 2013 version. it's a 54cm frame which is perfect for me - I'm a 58cm in Cube road bikes. It has Easton EA30 finishing kit as opposed to own brand gear on the 2014. As far as I can tell everything else is the same. The 2015 has different rear triangles to accommodate the belt drive.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's nice.

Barring last-minute contenders, I'm decided on it.
I can afford to wait a couple of months for the 2015 model though.

D

Deleted member 23692

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/hyb_0030_cz/cube-hyde-race-2015-hybrid-bike claim they have it in stock.
0% finance too.

Very tempted, will ponder for a couple of days
Have you actually spoken to them? Their website had it in stock when I was looking around in early Jan, but when I called to confirm, they didn't.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Let me know how you get on with that retailer as they have a bike I lust after and seem to be the only retailer in the UK that has it.

Have you actually spoken to them? Their website had it in stock when I was looking around in early Jan, but when I called to confirm, they didn't.

I emailed them, and no, they don't have stock.
I won't be using them, as I think that pretending you have stock when you don't is quite dishonest.

Might wait for the 2016 model now, which should be available in June or July apparently.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So, been thinking about this a lot, and have decided that I definitely want flat bars. I just prefer them for urban traffic riding. I can count the number of times I've used my drops on one hand in the last year.

I also think that my hub gear and belt drive criteria are probably not necessary - it's not like it's a hardship giving the chain a wipe once a week.
I want the bike to be quite light, for fast commutes when I'm not taking my daughter to nursery.

So, new criteria:
As light as possible, but still strong enough to take a child seat with 20kg of child in!
Good hydraulic discs.
Rack and mudguard mounts.
Possibly dynamo light if it doesn't add too much weight.

I was thinking, for weight and simplicity, a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetraing, like the SRAM CX system would work well, but can't find a flat bar bike with that setup.

Would like it to come in at under £1000 as I can use the cycle2work scheme, but will go higher for the right bike.

Hoy Shizuoka
Charge Grater 3 (not sure of weight)
Genesis Smithfield (maybe too heavy)
Cannondale Quick CX1 (not sure how good Magura brakes are)
Ridgeback Flight 04 (really like the colour scheme)
Whyte Stirling
Cotic Roadrat (could get it with hub gears, love the orange - thanks to @dee.jay )
Kona Big Rove

Thoughts?

Rustybucket

Veteran

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So, been thinking about this a lot, and have decided that I definitely want flat bars. I just prefer them for urban traffic riding. I can count the number of times I've used my drops on one hand in the last year.

I also think that my hub gear and belt drive criteria are probably not necessary - it's not like it's a hardship giving the chain a wipe once a week.
I want the bike to be quite light, for fast commutes when I'm not taking my daughter to nursery.

So, new criteria:
As light as possible, but still strong enough to take a child seat with 20kg of child in!
Good hydraulic discs.
Rack and mudguard mounts.
Possibly dynamo light if it doesn't add too much weight.

I was thinking, for weight and simplicity, a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetraing, like the SRAM CX system would work well, but can't find a flat bar bike with that setup.

Would like it to come in at under £1000 as I can use the cycle2work scheme, but will go higher for the right bike.

Hoy Shizuoka
Charge Grater 3 (not sure of weight)
Genesis Smithfield (maybe too heavy)
Cannondale Quick CX1 (not sure how good Magura brakes are)
Ridgeback Flight 04 (really like the colour scheme)
Whyte Stirling
Cotic Roadrat (could get it with hub gears, love the orange - thanks to @dee.jay )
Kona Big Rove

Thoughts?

I like the Cannondale, the Fatty head shock is a good compromise between a bit of give in the front end, low weight and simplicity.

Magura brakes are fine, not as grabby as Shimano but easier to modulate - in my experience of my two bikes.

Watch the fit on the CX, it has a short top tube which may suit or may not.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I really like the look / spec of that bike. Shame that it is from Halfords.

I recently bought the below bike for my summer commuter -
It is heavy & has drops thou - but is a great bike & a bargain with £1000 off. Only size 56 left
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/29893...one-di2-alfine-steel-road-bike-black-red.aspx

I love Genesis bikes, and might well get one as my next road/weekend bike. I like drops when on leisure rides, but really prefer flats for riding in traffic.
The Genesis Smithfield, linked above, looks very nice. Might be a touch heavy though.

I'm not too bothered about Halfords - I can check myself whether they've put the forks on the right way, and 13 Bikes have had good reviews.

Top Bottom