Swapping campagnolo derailleur cages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Hi folks...

For my current project I kind of need to sort out an 7/8-speed Campagnolo setup... for perfectly good aesthetic/pose reasons I'd like to use Syncro (II) gear shifters.... my issue is I need to deal with 32 teeth's worth of chain wrap... kicking around in the box is a rather tatty Avanti triple long-cage rear mech... now by Campy standards that's a pretty ugly piece of kit, so I was wondering if I'd be able to fit the cages onto a prettier mech (Corsa Record, Chorus, Croce d'Aune?) and therefore not live with the shame of having it look like my Campy bike actually gets used. Anyone know what my chances are?

Your chances are good. I recently swapped a Campy Racing Triple's cage onto a Record RD. It was a straight swap. However, it was 9-speed system and I can't couch for older ones. Post a good photo or two of the knuckle area on your derailler and I'll have a look to see if it is similar.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
OK,.
. hmm... I have a nasty feeling the Avanti might be unique, certainly the innards of the Avanti ergo shifters I have somewhere aren't much like the other Campy ones I have..

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Qualified "whoop", have managed to pick up an almost complete set of Record Syncro II shifters for cheap. Unqualified "argh" at what folks want for the better spec late 8-speed derailleurs :-(

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Less qualified "whoop"... it would appear that the rear derailleurs of the time all had the same main body and tension springs (and indeed the vast majority of all their parts) according to the spares codes (found after a rummage through Campy's support site).... it would also appear that my Avanti Triple rear mech is wearing a Speed Triple (or possibly a Veloce Triple) cage.... it isn't the Avanti long cage of either style, that's for darn sure.... Anywhoo, that should mean it's possible to swap the cages around...

Top Bottom