Switching power suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I currently (:rolleyes:) get gas and electric from EDF.
Putting my consumption figures into the comparison calculation at moneysupermarket.com, it says I could save £250 pa, or so, by switching to another supplier.
Most of them are companies I've never heard of such as first utility, green star, ovo. Sainsburys is also listed although I had no idea they were in the game.
Any advice whether it's worth switching, any pitfalls and hidden traps?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just switched to first utility. They get good ratings and their one year fixed should save me a chunk. They do have a £30 exit fee, but I'll get £50 cashback from Quidco to cover if required. I can't see myself doing this again. I found through uswitch and then tracked direct through Quidco

The only potential is given the time of year my account is in debit, so I'll need to pay that off. I'm also with EDF and they don't have the best customer service so remains to be see if it is as simple as I hope!

Sainsburys are british gas, who for historical reasons, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Check out moneysavingexpert.com - they provide impartial advice on that sort of thing including whether customer service is good, etc. The weekly e-mail will flag up when it's a good/bad time to switch - it depends on whether they're all in the process of changing prices.
Hmmm, the top saving on that one was with...
...EDF, whom I'm already with!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm, the top saving on that one was with...
...EDF, whom I'm already with!
Can you change to a different tariff with Edf? What does uswitch say? Money saving expert was favourable to first utility in the article I read

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I switched a few months ago using USwitch from Eon to Ovo after reading their rating in Which magazine.
To be fair it will be a while until i can tell what i have saved but any credit i have earns interest.

The switch was very painless and their customer service top rate.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Can't you just get some wave powered shïte as you're at the seaside.
No that goes to fuel the Cafes and Bikram yoga classes of Islington and the coffee machines at Source in St Pancras .

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Can you change to a different tariff with Edf? What does uswitch say? Money saving expert was favourable to first utility in the article I read
It wouldn't let me go to the EDF site directly from there but that may or may not be critical.
Do power companies give better rates to existing customers? It seems a bit unlikely to me.

vickster

Legendary Member
It wouldn't let me go to the EDF site directly from there but that may or may not be critical.
Do power companies give better rates to existing customers? It seems a bit unlikely to me.
It should say on your statement how much switching to a fixed tariff may save you, their blue price or whatever it is

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It should say on your statement how much switching to a fixed tariff may save you, their blue price or whatever it is
Thanks for that. I've just seen that by changing to fixed till May 2016 I can save £200+. I suppose it depends, then, what you think may happen to the variable rate till then.

Top Bottom