SWYTCH e-assist conversion pack -any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I thought this system had been around for ages. Hub motor, not very high torque and a small battery, so not much range unless you use low assistance setting.
Probably better suited for a Brompton than a full size bike.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There’s a lady at the local allotment who has had similar for a few years. I’ve often wonder whether there is any drawback to having the power through the front wheel and not the rear?

Smudge

Veteran
There’s a lady at the local allotment who has had similar for a few years. I’ve often wonder whether there is any drawback to having the power through the front wheel and not the rear?

I've never found a front wheel hub motor a problem, i've had two ebikes with it. It balances the weight better if you have a rack battery. It also effectively gives you two wheel drive.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Swytch kit looks best for a Brompton.

I'm not giving them my email address to find out the early bird price, but when prices were on their website, it was around £800.

This makes it a useful two hundred quid or so cheaper than the main Nano competitor.

beastie

Guru
I've ordered one, through crowd funding, at a price of $350 dollars IIRC. Delivery has been delayed due to the coved crisis. Should arrive within the next month. I will report back when it does. I figure for that price it was worth a trial..Edit $399 so about £330.

jann71

Veteran
I've ordered one, through crowd funding, at a price of $350 dollars IIRC. Delivery has been delayed due to the coved crisis. Should arrive within the next month. I will report back when it does. I figure for that price it was worth a trial..Edit $399 so about £330.
Have you received it?
Just seen there is a newer model launching?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Don’t forget import duty and VAT on top of that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It looks like a really good product. But having to wait nearly a year to receive it, is ridiculous

Drago

Legendary Member
No mention of battery capacity anywhere on their website. I suspect tiny judging by the claimed battery weight.

Also ebike batteries are heavy. The last think you want mounted outside of the steering axis. Even the puny batteries theyre providing aren't best placed where they're proposing - vey neat and convenient, but not so good for feel or safety, particularly for weaker or less experienced pilots.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
No mention of battery capacity anywhere on their website. I suspect tiny judging by the claimed battery weight.

Also ebike batteries are heavy. The last think you want mounted outside of the steering axis. Even the puny batteries theyre providing aren't best placed where they're proposing - vey neat and convenient, but not so good for feel or safety, particularly for weaker or less experienced pilots.

I was curious too so I had a dig around and found this:

Battery CapacityPRO Power Pack
36V 7Ah = 250Wh
Expected range 30miles/50km at 125W average power output.
ECO Power Pack
36V 5Ah = 180Wh
Expected range 20miles/35km at 125W average power output.

wajc

Veteran
I saw this recently

https://easifitebikekit.co.uk/

Slightly bigger battery at 36V 5.8Ah than the Swytch Eco Power Pack and fits on the downtube in it's own bottle type cage.
Price is clearly stated as £495 which you don't see on the Swytch website.
No signing up to be on a waiting list and delivery of items in stock is 2 days and approx 3 weeks otherwise.
They also seem to have quite a number of good reviews.
Based in Eastbourne in the UK

If I was looking for an ebike conversion kit I'd be looking at these people before Swytch.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Easi-fit uses a throttle, which I was given to understand was outlawed in 2016, or thereabouts? Only pedal assist, not pure electric power, is permitted on bikes or installarions after that date.

Edit - yes, from January 1 2016, the only throttles legal within the UK's EAPC legislation are those that assist the rider without pedalling up to a maximum speed of 6 km/h (3.7 mph) – i.e. starting assistance only. ... If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph. The Easi-fit website describes being able to ride using only the throttle, which would result in a good pistol whipping from the feds, and rubber hose across the soles of the feed from the courts.

Edit edit - the witeless thumb throttle is optional, so ignore everything ive just said, and simply don't order it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom