SWYTCH e-assist conversion pack -any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I understand ( but don't agree with) the safety argument, but how would a throttle increase range?

Presumably, because, you could pedal and not use the throttle?, if you wished, and/or just be very "gentle" with the throttle.

However, the eBikes, Mrs @BoldonLad and myself have just acquired, have a "zero assist" mode, where they operate as "normal" bicycles, so, like you, I don't really follow the "increased range" claim.

Reactions: mjr

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Last edited:
I understand ( but don't agree with) the safety argument, but how would a throttle increase range?

I'm not sure how the safety improvement is debatable as a throttle gives you full and fine control of power and means you don't have to be pedalling in certain situations plus you don't get the motor kicking in and out at random times based on cadence sensor readings or the torque sensor. If you are in a complex traffic situation and want fine control of power only a throttle provides that and means you could be less tired in those situations. A throttle is pretty much the standard way of controlling power/speed on all other vehicles on the road and it makes sense to extend that to ebikes too. No one wants to be controlling power/speed on a car by turning a set of pedals faster or slower. Separating motor power from pedalling makes perfect sense especially with hub motors.

A throttle can increase range simply because it only operates when you turn the throttle so you can be conservative with when to use power. Most bikes have stepped power levels where they will use power most of the time. If you are approaching a hill with a set power level and cadence sensor the bike will be consuming power all the time. If you approach the hill with a torque sensor ebike the bike will supply more power based on the torque you are applying but on a throttle you can simply cycle up the hill on your own power as far as you are comfortable and then simply turn the throttle to provide power when you actually need it so its easy to be more conservative with power and maximise range. However the reverse is also true you can consume more power if you want to by using the throttle more often. So a throttle can be consume the most or the least power because you have full control of that power its as simple as that.

Top Bottom