SWYTCH e-assist conversion pack -any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
that's an article on why they think you shouldn't electrify a Tern bike, not bikes in general.

and note this quote:

"Without that process, the resulting e-bike won't ride well. But more importantly, it's very unlikely to pass relevant safety tests. An e-bike's motor adds substantial forces, in new directions, that an acoustic bike's frame and fork weren't designed to handle. For example, adding a front hub would require a massively beefed-up fork to handle the additional stresses safely."

which suggests to me limitations of the Tern rather than bikes in general.

I have a Dahon Speed Pro sports bike - there's a certain (problematical) real-life family connection between Dahon and Tern.

I definitely wouldn't try to electrify my Speed Pro - that would be a safety issue I think. Not to mention endangering my mental health.

and another quick scan of that "article".

This:

@@
First off, there are the costs of getting your after-market motor and battery working reliably. Think fried sensors, melting wires, adapters, and other extra parts … it may cost more than you think to get your e-bike project off the ground.

Next, there are the increased maintenance costs associated with electrifying an acoustic bike. Your bike will be heavier, and your average speed will be higher, so you’ll be putting lots of extra wear and tear on your bike’s frame, fork, and components—none of which were designed to withstand that kind of use. In particular, your bike’s brakes and tires are likely to need very frequent maintenance or replacements (that’s if your tires aren’t constantly deflating on your ride).

@@
so your tyres will go down?
whatever next - you'll break out in spots, your wee will turn blue?
I've never read such waffle. Who drafted that? Are their bikes made of cheese?

Speed and decelerating are two different issues. A motor kit and battery add about 5-8kg. Riders weights could be 20-30kg in difference, the forces associated with rider weight are far greater than a motor kit.

Good morning,

I have just read that page on the Tern site and initially it appeared to me like something written by the marketing department, please bang out an article on ebike conversions, but don't spend much time on it.:smile:

But then I realised that I was thinking in UK terms, 250watt motor, but what about 500 or 750 watt motors?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to avoid discussions on legal and illegal conversions, especially as conversions may be making it possible to exceed the limits a selling point.

Bye

Ian

I ordered my kit on the 6 week delivery which should have given a delivery of mid Jan, its now been picked, but not delivered yet

IMG_20220220_142002.jpg

Basically what is in the box, I have taken to wheel out and put it back for the photo, some some of the cardboard is more battered than on first opening

Swytch kits look great and easy to fit but the pricing model for what is a relatively standard chinese geared hub motor and a smallish battery of fairly low capacity seems a bit high even after the so called half price pre-order deal. Also the fact its slightly more proprietary means more difficult to customise later on and replace batteries etc. However on the positive side its relatively weak motor so not really too demanding on the frame and forks I would of thought and if you are converting a mountain bike you have additional strength built into the design of such bikes which makes them ideal candidates for ebike upgrades. It really depends on the bike though some brands have had low weight capacities like the 100kg total load of Decathlon bikes and there was a huge recall on the larger frame Rockriders that kept breaking very early on. One report had the frame failing after only two weeks. I think the issue was Decathlon were buying fairly basic Chinese market spec frames from China hence the low weight limits even though assembled into bikes in Europe. Just making the point not all mountain bike frames are equal. Some have high weight limits and long frame warranties some have low weight limits and short frame warranties.

Here are the Yose kits which are shipped from the UK so presumably no additional tax and quick delivery.

https://yosepower.com/collections/uk-shipping

Yes more involved to fit but then easier to optimise and customise for your bike.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Anyone who uses the word "acoustic" to denote to a non-electric bicycle deserves to develop a really nasty itchy rash.
Same for 'analogue'.

In Scotland 'tie you to a post and let the midge get you'.

On the subject of the build slight problem new axle 10.0mm across the flats, forks 9.94mm slots... 9.95mm after cleaning with a file, going to need a bit more adjustment.

Yes so the Yose kits are a bit cheaper, but I wanted some the a bit easier to fit first time round. Also wanted to see it I can swap it between bikes.

So that's the bike electrified.
IMG_20220318_084613.jpg

Its wasn't too hard to do about 3 hours with the bits of fiddling that I had to do on my bike - on others I could see it being done in 90 minutes. The two main problems were the clearances around the front axle. The slot wasn't quite 10.mm (its was 9.95) so that need to be eased, also the nut is quite big and only just passed the edge of the bugle in the casting were the shock is housed - it was so close it took off some of the paint. The other problem was the cadence sensor - if you have a 2mm or greater gap between the crank arm and the frame then there is a neat adapter in the kit, however my crank arm is butted up to the frame so magnetic ring has to sit in free space - I added a 3d printed spacer to sort this out, but could be a problem for others - all there is very little room between the fat tubes of this frame and the crank so the sensor only just fitted. Also it was a touching fit to the front changer bracket -so that could be a problem on other bikes. Generally I would recommend the kit, probably better on a lower end bike with more standard kit.

So how does it ride.

So this is my first electric bike, the kit does make the front end a bit heaver, to me it feels a bit like a motor bike front end rather than a bicycle front end. Its all bolted to the steering and close to the center of the the swinging point so not really a problem for me. I spoke to a friend who owns a bike shop and he was warning that the front of electric drive bicycles can spin out so maybe the low power and extra weight on the front is a good thing for this kit.

So thoughts from my first ride:

The power assist comes in after about half a turn of the crank and in the lowest setting it just gently helps to push you along its nice and not at all intimidating. If you stop pedaling then the assistance stop immediately. I rode to a local hill which is pretty steep in one section, turned the power to max and gently soft pedaled the kit got me up the hill no problem, it did slow down, but had no problem getting up what must be a 20% slope.

I got the kit for two reasons, 1) to help my other half get back into cycling and get her up the hills that she fears, we will only do a max of 20 miles so there will be plenty of power at the lowest setting for her to get around even boosting the power a little to get up the hills. 2) to get me to work without me getting really hot and bothered up that steep hill I mentioned above, so as an alternative to driving the 5 miles to work each day - and I think the kit will do both of these things very well.

I think the kit will be well used to go to the shops in the summer it is a really nice alternative to the bike when you just want to get some where and not out "getting exercise!!"

Swapping the kit between bikes - I think than the crank sensor will have to live on one bike, however a second sensor is only a few pounds and changing the wheel and the battery clip is only four bolts, so both can probably be swapped over in 15 minutes - so that's what I plan to do.

Top Bottom