SWYTCH e-assist conversion pack -any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know diddly squat about this stuff but am vaguely keeping an eye on things for the future.

Would like to use a conversion kit as so many ebikes seem to have pointless suspension and even the better ones (for me) often seem to be ally and I would like to avoid aluminium bikes.

I gather that Bosch kit is quite well regarded as originally fitted kit.

So, question - do they do retrofittable conversion kit?

If not why not?

Anyone aware of any plans they may have?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So, question - do they do retrofittable conversion kit?
No.

If not why not?

The Bosch and other factory fit crank drives such as Shimano Steps and Yamaha are complete units.

The bike frame has no bottom bracket.

Where the seat tube, down tube, and chain stay meet there is a curved plate to which the unit is bolted.

Crank drive kits, such as those made by Bafang, use the bike frame's bottom bracket so can be fitted to most bikes.

I think you will struggle to find a steel frame Bosch motored ebike, most are aluminium or carbon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some of the better chinese mid drive kits are actually pretty decent...

http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-2s-gaym

Would go well in a steel framed bike.

Bosch are overrated in the ebike motor sphere. They're not utter hand grenades, but aren't especially reliable either, and mediocrity for the money they charge is a little hard to swallow. The main drive gear is nylon, doubtless to reduce interial losses, and these are starting to split with age and necessitates the motor going in the bin.

Cripes, didn't realise the drive depended on plastic, even if clever plastic. I wonder why this innovation hasn't been used on leg powered bikes?

Drago

Legendary Member
Clearly Bosch aren't buying theirs from Nylacast then...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The reliability of the Bosch system needs to be seen in context.

The millionth motor was produced several years ago - huge numbers for a major bicycle component.

Some of the earlier nylon sprockets failed which was traced to lack of lubrication at the factory.

Bosch produced a 'service pack' - a small tube of white grease.

I've done thousands of miles on three Bosch motors.

A thumb control failed in that time, and my newest Bosch bike needed a software update to cure erratic power delivery.

The motors were reliable in all other respects, which I suspect is the experience of most owners.

Drago

Legendary Member
Similarly, ive done over 1000 miles in 3.5 months on a Carrera ebike. Nary a niggle.

Hellfrauds modestly reckon they've sold more Carrera ebikes in the UK than all the other brands combined. Yet log on to the UKs most visited ebike forum and the massive majority of discussion about faulty machines are about other makes of bike and motor, Woosh, Bosch, and others.

There is, of course, some Carrera discussion, but taken into consideration against the numbers sold its neglisble really,

Yet ask the members to recommend a brand and to a man and woman theyll likely tell you to avoid Carrera, despite the evidence of their very own website actually making them one of the safest bets.

Context is, as you say, everything.

This video is quite interesting and shows how easy it is to convert a bike.

View: https://youtu.be/qo6i5VcJ-ME

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Context is, as you say, everything.

As an example, all the broken Bosch motors in your pics are the original version which ceased production seven years ago.

I still have one which is running satisfactorily.

No reports of sprocket failure in subsequent and the current generation of Bosch motors, although no doubt some have failed for other reasons.

Don’t forget import duty and VAT on top of that.
I pre ordered mySwytch conversion kit on 7th December with a 6-10 week delivery time, this is to upgrade my revolution cx which I use purely for recreation,oh and shopping as had to give up driving due young onset dementia.
I opted for the higher grade power battery giving 50km range rather than 30.
Total cost including delivery, At and any taxes costing £644 all in.
It has a 250 watt front wheel motor.
Apparently, the all in onebattery pack and control unit.
Fingers crossed it'll be sooner rather than later.
I'll give younthe full SP when I get it and take it out on a good test run.
T

I know plenty of people who have them fitted to their Bromptons and are happy with them. The only thing putting me off is the delivery time. It was almost a year. Has that changed?

I was looking at Tern bikes today and saw that they had this article as to why you should not electrify a bog standard bike.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/sup...y-shouldn-t-electrify-your-acoustic-tern-bike
that's an article on why they think you shouldn't electrify a Tern bike, not bikes in general.

and note this quote:

"Without that process, the resulting e-bike won't ride well. But more importantly, it's very unlikely to pass relevant safety tests. An e-bike's motor adds substantial forces, in new directions, that an acoustic bike's frame and fork weren't designed to handle. For example, adding a front hub would require a massively beefed-up fork to handle the additional stresses safely."

which suggests to me limitations of the Tern rather than bikes in general.

I have a Dahon Speed Pro sports bike - there's a certain (problematical) real-life family connection between Dahon and Tern.

I definitely wouldn't try to electrify my Speed Pro - that would be a safety issue I think. Not to mention endangering my mental health.

and another quick scan of that "article".

This:

@@
First off, there are the costs of getting your after-market motor and battery working reliably. Think fried sensors, melting wires, adapters, and other extra parts … it may cost more than you think to get your e-bike project off the ground.

Next, there are the increased maintenance costs associated with electrifying an acoustic bike. Your bike will be heavier, and your average speed will be higher, so you’ll be putting lots of extra wear and tear on your bike’s frame, fork, and components—none of which were designed to withstand that kind of use. In particular, your bike’s brakes and tires are likely to need very frequent maintenance or replacements (that’s if your tires aren’t constantly deflating on your ride).

@@
so your tyres will go down?
whatever next - you'll break out in spots, your wee will turn blue?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
that's an article on why they think you shouldn't electrify a Tern bike, not bikes in general.

and note this quote:

"Without that process, the resulting e-bike won't ride well. But more importantly, it's very unlikely to pass relevant safety tests. An e-bike's motor adds substantial forces, in new directions, that an acoustic bike's frame and fork weren't designed to handle. For example, adding a front hub would require a massively beefed-up fork to handle the additional stresses safely."

which suggests to me limitations of the Tern rather than bikes in general.

I have a Dahon Speed Pro sports bike there's a certain (problematical) real-life family connection between Dahon and Tern.

I definitely wouldn't try to electrify my Speed Pro - that would be a safety issue I think. Not to mention endangering my mental health.

and another quick scan of that "article".

This:

@@
First off, there are the costs of getting your after-market motor and battery working reliably. Think fried sensors, melting wires, adapters, and other extra parts … it may cost more than you think to get your e-bike project off the ground.

Next, there are the increased maintenance costs associated with electrifying an acoustic bike. Your bike will be heavier, and your average speed will be higher, so you’ll be putting lots of extra wear and tear on your bike’s frame, fork, and components—none of which were designed to withstand that kind of use. In particular, your bike’s brakes and tires are likely to need very frequent maintenance or replacements (that’s if your tires aren’t constantly deflating on your ride).

@@
so your tyres will go down?
whatever next - you'll break out in spots, your wee will turn blue?
I had never an article saying you should not use something like a Swych on a bike. I understand this is for Tern bikes but I think it could be pretty generic. As I said, I know plenty of people who have been happy with their Swytch kit for a long time. An article like this would not put me off having a go at Swytch if the delivery time has improved.

Top Bottom