tadpole to quad conversion with outboard disc brakes ( now the quadem project )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks
I know I have been quiet of late but due to caring commitments, a short but needed break at the end of September , a forthcoming MOT , several trike rides before the hour crawls back to winter time and the nights draw in , Together with a bit of a shortage of ERW form our steel suppliers and a few other little projects that have crept in .

So , Enters the MKII this trike has been used in the development of some of the other trikes and is a good basis for the conversion .

The facts so far
The latest project is to convert the MKII from a tadpole 20/26 trike to a 20" all round quad/velo prototype using a solid rear axle mounted in pillow blocks and fitting outboard discs on both rear wheels .
Using a 20mm solid rear axle and a 20mm front hub as a "free hub " will make the rear end a little easier to construct using 20mm pillow blocks , I hope to include a rear damper on the rear and use the main boom as a torsion bar suspension .

Photos will follow as and when the camera releases them up to my one drive and I have finished hacking 40x40 16g ERW to build the frame - UNTIL then you are welcome to post comments ask questions or wait patiently in line and shoot me down in flames

regards for now

emma

classic33

Leg End Member
Only the one drive wheel on the rear then?

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
This version will be single wheel drive - most of the RWD delta trikes are only SWD that do not use a diff , the original racing trikes of the 50's and 60's used a single wheel drive on the "near side" as it stopped "run down the camber " in normal road use

The conversion a "bolt on rear end " is now past the planning stage and the pre assembly work is complete and the assembly work to cut to size and weld up has begun . The only fly in the ointmentas previously stated is forcing my mobile phone to return my photos to my one drive so I can post them .
Windows seems to have a mind of its own!

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The whole rear end will be sprung as a dampered unit this prototype unit will rely on the torsion bar effect of the main boom to absorb the bumps and irregularities of the road , the next quad might ( only might ) have a limited movement using a horizontal head tube assembly to give it some extra movement .
The idea is to mount the whole subframe directly to the trike in place of the MTB rear triangle currently fitted using the Pivot point and damper mount .

regards emma

You thinking Brox!

I dunno what I'm thinking. I do know that quads need articulation of some kind or else spend a lot of time with one wheel orf the ground.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
here is a close up of the left and right hubs the fixed hub was a standard MTB hub with the bearings removed and reamed to fit the 20mm axle , it is mounted with a purpose made adapter that secures the hub via the rotor into the rotor mounts , a standard Kobe 20mm hub from a scrap front 20mm wheel is the offside Hub mounted with 20mm collars on both sides to act as spacers to get the calipers in the same position

quad_free.jpg

quad_front_mtg.jpg

quad_nsr.jpg

free picture upload

its still in bare metal stage - have welder will travel , the trike spends most of its time on 2 wheels so wont be too different there :wacko:

i can always cut and shut the main rear boom and put a fork tube up it, unless i go for some thrust bearings .lets get it on 4 wheels and see how it goes ! there is plenty of space between the pivot and the subframe

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

Brake calipers and derailleur mounts designed and made today and currently waiting for the M12 x 70mm bolts to secure the Pillow blocks and m5x25 HT cap screws for the fixed hub adapter , I have located and machined up a black hub for the fixed hub so all the hubs are the same .

I hope to machine the anti crush tubes at the weekend .

Only leaving me to design the 1into 2 brake adapter for the rear ( 4 wheels and 4 OUTBOARD 160 mm disc brakes )

An extra pair of plates to support the M12 bolt heads were cut cleaned up and ready to drill .

Yesterday a recycled BMX style bike gave its rims ( same as the original pair ) , rim tapes and inner tubes for the project and its forks and head tube will be saved for another project .

The 4th tyre ( had 2 + 1 spare ) arrived today and the calipers and spokes are on their way ,
Hopefully I can built and trued the wheels early next week .

Next stage is to dismantle the current rear end and jig up the delta subframe in its correct position so I can weld in the suspension support .

regards emma

classic33

Leg End Member
Hydraulic brakes?
I"ve two seperate systems in use on the Brox. An inline system, front brakes & a parrallel system on the rear.

Cable operated: Have you considered a splitter as fitted to a BMX?

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Cable brakes all round with a dual lever on the front and a centre pull system on the rear so it can revert to the trike configuration with minimal effort ^_^

Have tried BMX splitters in the past and were not successful .:angry:

Easy weekend only the anti crush tubes to make , lucky really :highfive: I feel like a dog log,:evil:
I must have caught something during the week :cursing:

laters

emma

Top Bottom