tadpole to quad conversion with outboard disc brakes ( now the quadem project )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Well another week has passed and I am slowly getting over this viral infection and a flu like illness that appear to have run concurrently - anyway , a little more experimenting and I have removed the 16mm tube across the rear end , this has allowed a little more flex , waiting for the diff details ( @mickle ) now before I build a complete replacement rear end with a shorter moment and using thinner and smaller material to increase the flex .

no more photos yet as not much has changed , have ridden it around the block ( short block ) and it is better but the long rear end allows the wheel to spin when putting the power down .

regards emma

Last edited by a moderator:
Im in Belfast now (so it is), but I'll dig out those axles when I'm back in the office. Soz for delay.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
swd means it is not too bad , its those awkward corners where the rigid chassis keeps the drive wheel off the ground is the worst case , going to redesign the chassis in the next few weeks to put the seat over the rear wheels.
That should cure it

regards Emma

DSC_0002.JPG

Here's the good one, the sorry one will come back from storage next time someone goes. I'm not sure how much value the dead one has... £80 the pair inc postage?

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
@mickle any hubs for the diffs ?

regards emma

simon.r

Person
@voyager - It's highly unlikely I'll be able to contribute anything useful to this thread, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your account and seeing your photos. Looks like an excellent project.

I hope I'll be doing something broadly similar if and when I can afford to take early retirement!

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
@voyager but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your account and seeing your photos. Looks like an excellent project.

I hope I'll be doing something broadly similar if and when I can afford to take early retirement!

Any input is good news , it makes a change to the normal bike repairs , maintenance and the such likes , and I hope it helps to show others what can be done with a bit of time and a small workshop , And the bonus is - riding them helps keep my blood sugar down .

There are more threads - a few on the trikes including the 20/20 e-trikes and a couple on the marmil eating e-bmx and electric shopper .

The current project is stalled until the next batch of bits arrive and the new frame build with the seat over the rear axle.

hope you all enjoy the read

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Just increased the head angles to 80 degrees to see if that will reduce the wheel lift problems ( longer damper ) and I have started a lighter weight rear end , remember this is still a prototype for a velo build and once the chassis is sorted the body can be built - O the advantage of being retired/ or is that just tired .
Having an easy week as I am still getting over that viral infection and the weather is just **** down here in the south .

regards emma

pegar

Thanks Emma
For inspiring me to get on with my project.
supposed to be finished before last summer and I'm still miles of.
I like to ask about the front wheel and breaking mentioned earlier.
When I bought my front wheel I got bmx front wheel with 14mm axel
and decided to use old fashion clamp breaks.
I can't understand how you can use rear wheel with screw on adaptor for disc break.
Can't the disc on one side unscrew itself with heavy breaking even if you use glue? or are they welded on.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Thanks Emma
For inspiring me to get on with my project.

When I bought my front wheel I got bmx front wheel with 14mm axle
and decided to use old fashion clamp breaks.
I can't understand how you can use rear wheel with screw on adaptor for disc brakes.
Can't the disc on one side unscrew itself with heavy breaking even if you use glue? or are they welded on.

Large flange rear hubs can be used and the rotor bolts on the LH wheel can be drilled through the flange and secured with longer bolts and nuts
the Rh wheel will tighten itself onto the hub .

Here is a thread I started on the Atomic Zombie site that details the various methods that can make a lower cost disc brake wheel set , I have used this method for a lot of trike builds without failure , in the thread are other peoples experiences as well .

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showt...nt-Disc-hubs?highlight=how+I+used+disc+wheels

The transportable uses the bolt through method as there was a couple of scrap BMX bikes with LF hubs at the tip with identical rims = result

The last set of wheels I got from the tip was a pair of 48 h quando 14mm hubs and the front was a disc hub and the rear a standard screw on hub
result is a pair of heavy duty disc wheels for the tandem , I think Stue has been using the same method since we spoke earlier this year

You can get lh and rh disc calipers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIGHT-HAN...652543?hash=item54048dc43f:g:eTYAAOxyOMdS8occ

email Graham for more info on these and he has got screw on disc conversions and rotors

regards emma

Top Bottom