tadpole to quad conversion with outboard disc brakes ( now the quadem project )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

Still feeling rather under the weather but in the cooler autumn air this morning I started to feel a bit better , triked along to get some antibiotics and had a couple of hours in the workshop and this rolled out of it about 12:20 , this afternoon I fitted a temporary chain but I will get some more ( 3 more ) chains to replace the original as it is too short with the change in chainwheels .

WP_20151029_002.jpg
WP_20151029_003.jpg

The wheelbase is EXACTLY the same as it was as a trike ( to keep the ackermann steering geometry correct ) and despite looking longer is actually 3 inches shorter than it was before the conversion .
When I feel better I will thrash it around the block

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Replacement chain set sourced and resprayed 28-38-48 linked with the DNP 7 speed freewheel will give me 17" - 87" gears , now I only need the legs to use them .

Next stage before the test ride is fit the lot - recheck the gears and then the wait is over ......................

who know maybe Monday or Tuesday ?

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Chain etc fitted and the frame flex is only 20mm and a tad more with a rider the lack of flex is probably exaggerated by the central seating position
but this seating position is exactly the same as the wheelbase on the original trike ,
With more weight than a 170 lb rider I think it would be okay and I am unable to check until I find a mug ( oops persion ) to stand on the rear whilst I ride it around the block .

So next stage is

contemplating and fixing

but

TBH it rides very well except when the wheel is not in contact over undulating ground

quadrear.jpg
quadside.jpg

I wont be beaten

regards emma

Attachments

• quadsider.jpg
    quadsider.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
That the problem when the drive wheel is not on the ground , other than that its fine , I have some Eastern Burnouts 20x 2.1 semi balloon tyres to fit they will run at 35psi , are low resistance and a larger profile and might help other than that I will build a new front to fit the modified back - after all it is a prototype and its all in the learning curve

Alternatively a sprag clutch fitted into a modified free hub will give it a second wheel drive but stoll allow a free wheel action on corners

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Or make it the ultimate Ltd Split Diff and run a solid axle like an old Nash!

Actually, I've got a trike rear end with a diff in it going spare...

@mickle . Thanks l could be interested in that please PM me a price and description

Live back axle and no diff could make turns a little awkward with extended tyre wear :evil: but it would stop the lack of traction moments

regards emma

classic33

Leg End Member
Question with regards the axle placement. Why above the main frame, and does it place any extra stress on the axle?

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
@classic33
@mickle

Mr Reaper

John said it would be ok .. Placement was to keep the existing pivot point , and to ensure that the caster angle of the front head tubes remain at 75 degrees ,
this as said earlier was an experiment and prototype and somehow I did not expect a miracle and it work first time , it still is and was a great learning curve and worthy of a bit more playing before it gets passed by .( Complete redesign ).. Current thoughts are of course 2wd ,

Hopefully Mickle will come back to me with P & D or alternatively we will design a 2wd with sprag clutches fitted in the rear hubs .

There are still many options open to me and I have been in contact with some of the BHPV guys on facebook for a little advice on weight loading etc , their solutions on bits are OK for a racing team ( that are in full time paid employment ) but a pensioner with time on her hands and a shoe string budget are prohibitive .

In the last few years ( retired now for just 3 years ) I have in addition to being a carer for mum learnt a lot about design , and welding and feel quite pleased with myself ( the e-trike family i have designed and built ) and a big big bonus point is my health has also improved with the exercise

Maybe the idea of a SWB quad has its own "little opportunities " and either needs the chassis redesigning to allow a longer wheelbase rather than a long wheelbase with its characteristic handling problems and large turning circle

regards emma

Top Bottom