tadpole to quad conversion with outboard disc brakes ( now the quadem project )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pegar

Thanks Emma
I hade looked at that link previously, It was only the way the odd side disc was secured I couldn't make out.
But like I said when I have started my project I choose front wheels and rim brakes.
My problem is that I'm designing the next bike ,and the next one, and the one after that, in my head before I have finished the one I'm working on.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
Christmas and the new year has gone and past . Time now to start thinking of the next two projects ,

The first is to continue this project by stretching the rear boom 21" and installing a stoker , to hold the rear wheels on the ground and provide a bit more human power - this will become the quadem Quad -tandem

and the second is the velo project using the rear PFAU Tec Diff unit from Mickle
Status so far - diff here ,currently ( yesterday ) have source a pair of suitable 36 hole rims ,spokes and matching tyres from a good BMX donor ,
next stage to build a jack-shaft with disc brake and 7/8 speed 11-32t freewheel and 18t output sprocket .
watch the forum for more news

laters

emma

markg0vbr

Über Member
I like the back to back tandom layout if the seats are slightly offset you can peddle along chatting to the minion in the rear seat.
This gives you a nice luggage storage section between the seats, Google back to back recumbent tandem.

the builders of delta motor trikes use a combination of active rear sub fraim holding the axle rigid and high wall tyres
With very low pressure around 5psi.
Or some go for the torsion bar approach, the ends in rubber pivots to allow flexing, scaled down for your quad it should work.

It will be a real head turner when it's done.:hyper:

The most important question ..... Will it be red and green when the body is on ?:okay:

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The continuing project

This is going to be a standard tandem format - as a prototype it is allowing me to gain the knowledge I need for the velo ( unless I give up ) currently I am nursing a rather bruised and blistered left foot that took the brunt of a flying Log splitter last weekend :cry:.... :cursing: . Everything has ground to a halt for the last 6 days :evil:.

The bits have arrived for the wheel build for the PFAU axle and the rims cut from the BMX bike and cleaned up , but until my mobility increases, they can all stay firmly on the bench .
The workshop is too cold :cold: and the temperature here down south is starting to fall and the cold is taking its toll on me , ( I am not as young as I was , and I don't heal as fast especially now I am diabetic )

Will it be red and green - No :laugh: its a quad , not a holly bush

I wll split the thread later and run the velo project as a separate thread

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
HI Folks
I will split the two threads with this becoming the quadem ( quad tandem ) and the quad velo will have its own thread soon
I am building the little bits before I cut and extend the rear end .

qaudbits.jpg

photo shows the stokers BB assembly , handlebar mount and the 2 box section inserts .

The rear end will have an extra 21" inserted and I have just finished cutting and welding up the internal support/ strengtheners for the cuts .
The adjustable rear sliding seat assemble is built , as well as the stokers bottom bracket and the 2nd freewheel adapter. The stokers independent chain drive will be down the left hand side and will be fitted with a 7 speed 11-32 setup , The stokers USS bars and stem are finished and painted .
So , most of the bits are built except for the dual rear gear mech mount , sorry no photos as its too wet and dark but they will follow .
Just waiting for a set of 20x1.95 semi smooth tyres to clear customs and some m6 55mm bolts to arrive .
I hope to make a start on the final cuts and reassembly soon.
My Toes are still sore but the bruising has started to disappear but the cold and damp weather is not doing this old bird much good .
.A couple of hours in one day is too much until the weather gets a bit warmer .

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
This morning the sun was shining :sun: so after a quick cup of tea or two :cheers: it was outside for a couple of hours in the sun - I have cut and extended the main boom and only have the rear derailleurs to sort , then the rear axle needs sorting before reassembly and sort the chain lines .
The close clearances I made the hubs and spacers is giving me a little hassle in fitting the second freewheel assembly, Everything is too tight to dismantle.
Total length is about 110 inches or 9 ft 2ins or for those that cannot convert its under 3 meters long .

WP_20160128_005.jpg
WP_20160128_002.jpg
WP_20160128_003.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

Long day , almost finished the chain drives , rear brakes sorted and both drive trains "work" only a few hours work tomorrow should see it rideable and get some full photos in assuming the weather does not let me down.

JUST NEED TO RETIGHTEN EVERYTHING and make a second return tube support .

8x3 front gears ( 48/36/28 x 11-32 ) and 7 rear ( 42x 11-28 )

dual rear sprockets for independent drive
twindrive.jpg
photo storage

regards emma

Attachments

• twindrive.jpg
    twindrive.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

after an hour of tinker time , a few adjustments and a 2nd chain return tube to stop the sagging of a 4 length chain the quadem took to the road today with just me on board , the frame flex is better but with the wet weather still under foot the rear drive wheel did spin a bit , still it rides and I only need the help of a volunteered stoker to put it through its paces

and now the long awaited photos - pre paint as I am sure it will get a few more modifications soon . I hope to get it under the magic 9 foot once I remake the rear seat back , and to fit a difference set of stokers bars

regards emma
quadem02.jpg
quadem01.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
With Imogen raging her wrath along the coast , I have a few jobs indoors to finish ( battery pack to make for the e-trike and the jackshaft of the velo project ) I have sorted the rear bars and new bar mount on the quadem and sprayed them black , pink bmx bars just didn't suit it .

When the storm blows itself out and I get a co-opted stoker its time for a long test ride.

Rather than USS these are "in front of the seat non steering " :laugh: they need to go like this to miss the chain run of the pilots transmission ( all 4 chains of it ) the quad uses a total of 8 chains so far it has 5 brake cables and 3 gear cables as well .
I have another pair of tyres for the front as 1.95 crackpots's will give a bit more flex than these 1.75 ones currently fitted on the front .

The next stage is the storage behind the rear seat and a front fairing once some miles are on it .

regards emma

rearifosns.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

Having had the stuffing knocked out of me ( 10 days ago ) with a viral infection ( both praying to the white elephant and trying to ride it ) I am starting to feel a bit better, I have managed to cut down the the rear seat and retrimed it . The overall length is now 8ft 10" or 106 inches ( non imperial bodies 106 x 2.54 /100 = metres )

I have found a few problems in the drive line but I think they are all sorted , currently waiting for the warmer weather to appear so we can give it a good test run , only things to do is paint the rear end and change the front tyres to a pair of 1.95x20 rather than the current 1.75

more photos will follow - currently trying to do a little decorating so I don't need to do it when the weather finally breaks.

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

its a sunny but cool good Friday in the northern hemisphere and after a good English breakfast Ken and I decided to take the quadem out for its two rider test ride

about a 10 mile round trip into Brighton was our aim and it was achieved without a problem

The 24 gears for the pilot is overkill and the 7 on the rear was ample . Ken and I took turns at the front and had a good first ride -
The steering feels twitchier than a trike ( due to the steep caster angle of the head tubes but the ride was short , we did stop on the return leg , once to listen to a busker near the pier and at hove lawns for a cup of English tea at the cafe on the promenade .

now where can we park and store a 9ft long 3ft wide quadem project ?.........
thinking.gif

WP_20160325_002.jpg

WP_20160325_004.jpg

WP_20160325_006.jpg

free photo hosting

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi Folks

its a sunny but cool good Friday in the northern hemisphere and after a good English breakfast Ken and I decided to take the quadem out for its two rider test ride

about a 10 mile round trip into Brighton was our aim and it was achieved without a problem

The 24 gears for the pilot is overkill and the 7 on the rear was ample . Ken and I took turns at the front and had a good first ride -
The steering feels twitchier than a trike ( due to the steep caster angle of the head tubes but the ride was short , we did stop on the return leg , once to listen to a busker near the pier and at hove lawns for a cup of English tea at the cafe on the promenade .

now where can we park and store a 9ft long 3ft wide quadem project ?.........IMG]http://forum.atomiczombie.com/images/smilies/thinking.gif[/IMG]......

WP_20160325_002.jpg

WP_20160325_004.jpg

WP_20160325_006.jpg

free photo hosting
Anywhere you like.

Try parking it with a nine foot trailer.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Further to the lack of chassis twist as a single seater the additional 10st sitting above the rear wheels KEEP THE DRIVE ON THE GROUND :bravo:

The only disconcering thing both of us noticed was a little "bump steer " on speed bumps

have a good easter
:cheers:

emma

Top Bottom