take a test??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

donnymac

thanks guys its been fun..
yes its legal to filter through at a speed of no more than 3mph, (walking pace) .
just got a pic of a dizzy rider falling off at a roundabout.lol
the answer is three times before the police can charge you with dangerous driving..

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Teaching kids is becoming more and more popular. Generally giving them some confidence can't be bad.

But testing cyclists... Fine, I'm all for that. Lets test them to make sure they know to ride predominantly in primary position, assertively and in a vehicular fashion. Lets test cyclists to ensure they all know how they're actually meant to ride, as opposed to how far too many motorists (including all of the ones who keep bleating on that cyclists aren't tested) believe they should. I'd LOVE that. It would gridlock every town and city in the country with all of us riding as we really should, but heck, that would be a small price to pay to make the people who complain that we're not tested shut the hell up.

So your saying its ok to cause hold ups and even gridlock,because your supposed to cycle that way?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure it would cause gridlock, so I think Cab's wrong. I think it would smooth out and increase traffic flow and reduce accidents by taking away the ability for a car driver to put pedal to metal when accelerating and braking.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I'm not sure it would cause gridlock, so I think Cab's wrong. I think it would smooth out and increase traffic flow and reduce accidents by taking away the ability for a car driver to put pedal to metal when accelerating and braking.

What would holding traffic up?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Insufficiant capacity, bad planning, and mostly traffic itself causes hold ups.
Cyclists are interspersed among that traffic but are very low down on the list for causing the hold ups.

OP
OP
D

donnymac

at last ...
thankyou ive made my point.. asking for a ref for speeds on filtering
its in the highway code..
if the traffic has stopped its classed as filtering.. 3mph no more.
if its slow moving traffic filtering through is not legal, its undertaking..
filtering through traffic ie between two or more lanes of traffic..
to filter through is not overtaking..
i thankyou..

col

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Insufficiant capacity, bad planning, and mostly traffic itself causes hold ups.
Cyclists are interspersed among that traffic but are very low down on the list for causing the hold ups.

But the point was made to be in primary and slow traffic wasnt it?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
donnymac said:
at last ...
thankyou ive made my point.. asking for a ref for speeds on filtering
its in the highway code..
if the traffic has stopped its classed as filtering.. 3mph no more.
if its slow moving traffic filtering through is not legal, its undertaking..
filtering through traffic ie between two or more lanes of traffic..
to filter through is not overtaking..
i thankyou..

Er.... No.
I cannot find the roundabout reference in the online UK Highwaycode.
Do you have a link to the item in question or could you quote the ref No. of the approved document where this point is mentioned.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
col said:
But the point was made to be in primary and slow traffic wasnt it?

Not necessarily, that is all down to intention.
Cyclists en mass, perhaps you'd get gridlock but even in London I don't see enough cyclists, unless they formed a peleton maybe, causing that much disturbance.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cycling in primary just to slow traffic and cause trouble in London would soon see you covered in bruises or worse still in Hospital.
I recommend this course of action to no one.

OP
OP
D

donnymac

check the police drivers training book.. its in that..
thought i would chuck it in lol..
filtering speeds is in the highway code..

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
donnymac said:
check the police drivers training book.. its in that..
thought i would chuck it in lol..

Ah brilliant!
Well done.
Yes 'The Police Drivers Handbook' how did I not guess?
A volume we all have to hand and is widley recommended reading for all road users, even those without a uniform fetish.
Tut Tut silly me. Slaps ones own hand, 'silly, naughty cyclist!'.;)

You said it was in the Highway Code so you is wrong and a tw*t.

I can only now guess we should be expecting more questions from you and your advanced library then?
Something from the SOE syllabus maybe or the SAS handbook?

On second thoughts, spare me. I answered your posts honestly and now see you for the a*se you is. When you said testing you meant patience!

sanoffyhighstepson

Hi

Not stirring anything but do they still do cycle proficiency tests at schools?. Would be a good idea to reintroduce that if it not on the go.
They done that when I was at school (a few moons ago!!!) and it helped me, even at an early age, the basics of road safety, awareness etc.

Top Bottom