Taking a Drink While Riding..Which Hand..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Either hand. On one bike with a compact frame I have sidecages, so use R hand to get bottle on seat tube, L hand on down tube. On other bikes, normal cages - probably use R hand more than L - R handed, by the way. Practice makes perfect.

I'm right handed too and I use my left hand I prefer to have my stronger arm on the bars and be able to feather the rear brake; I think it was the other way the left hand on the front brake would be too twitchy. Mostly however, I've always done it that way it just feels more natural ;)

sabian92

Über Member
I'm left handed but I use my right hand to get the bottle - my right hand doesn't have good enough coordination to be able to hold the bars steady (trust me, I've tried!).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right handed and use my right hand to reach for the bottle.

What a strange thread. Had never thought about it until now.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Had to think about this for a while. I'm right handed and I'm sure I use my right hand to pick bottle from cage. I try to be on a straight, no risk section, when I go for a drink, not a technical bendy bit of road.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm left handed but I use my right hand to get the bottle - my right hand doesn't have good enough coordination to be able to hold the bars steady (trust me, I've tried!).

The next time I get a quiet road I shall try the other hand and see what happens.. practice I think is the key.. :smile:

Rob500

Right handed. Get bottle with right hand and steer with left.

Thinking about this /\ /\. Getting the bottle with my right hand has nothing to do with me being right handed and everything to do with me (for some reason) feeling more comfortable and confident with my left hand steering

billy1561

BB wrecker
Right handed and use the right for the bottle. Always use the bottle on the front part of the frame though and when that's empty i stop and swop them over as reaching down and under feels far less stable as compared to just down and front.

youngoldbloke

I find the side cages much easier anyway, because you push the bottle in sideways, rather than having to locate the bottom of the bottle in the cage. In the end it's what you're used to .....

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I always pull the bottle with my left hand but then allways change and drink with the right hand (i feel weird now thinking about it :wacko:) i just dont feel comfortable taking my right hand off the bars to reach down for the bottle ? Maybe just get 1 of those hats for beer cans and the straws problem solved ^_^

monkeylc

Über Member
Not been on the Forum for that long and this is the strangest thread I have ever read.

I don't need a bottle,I just fill my mouth and wait till I'm thirsty :blink:

simple thinking :highfive:

sabian92

Über Member
The next time I get a quiet road I shall try the other hand and see what happens.. practice I think is the key.. :smile:

My dyspraxia makes it really hard but at least I have 1 good hand :biggrin: I can do it the other way anyway so at least I can do it regardless.

youngoldbloke

Not been on the Forum for that long and this is the strangest thread I have ever read.

I don't need a bottle,I just fill my mouth and wait till I'm thirsty :blink:

simple thinking :highfive:
Listen and learn. We are talking about the deployment of Bidons, on the move. Held in Bottle Cages, which are usually positioned on the down tube and/or the seat tube of the bicycle, sometimes behind the saddle, rarely on the handlebars or beneath the down tube (on tandems and tourers). Their use (edit whilst on the move) can be problematic, as it involves taking a hand from the bars , preferably without removing ones eyes from the road ahead, or deviating from a safe course. Efficient safe use involves learning technique and practice - So not a strange subject for a thread at all.
* edit - you can of course stop to take a drink.

Top Bottom