Taking a Drink While Riding..Which Hand..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Icey

As I've started cyclying a lot further than I thought would, I appreciate the need to have a bottle of water with me and will be picking one up tomorrow. Novice question coming up, are all the holders the same or is there a design that is better than another? I apologise if the question is dumb :smile:

raindog

er.....
If you're right handed, that's the one that needs to be on the bars, not the one reaching for the bottle.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I use right hand, but have recently changed to a "back-handed" grip, which favours the seatpost cage.
When I go for the down tube bottle and take it in a conventional grip, it needs a very high elbow, which can be a bit painful; whereas the "back-hand" (spout on the side by the little finger rather than the thumb) seems a more natural position for the arm- and maybe better for balance too.

I saw this done on one of the races on the TV and thought it looked very odd at first, but it works for me anyway. Try it.

trampyjoe

Because your "best" hand needs to be in control of the bike, not the bottle.
That makes perfect sense ... But, and I'm only talking for myself here, my 'best hand' never feels comfortable being the one in control.
It is an individual thing though and we all ride different bikes and so can drink in different ways :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
I have to slow right down if I need to get my bottle - I'm right handed and use my right - but I have a sideways cage on a ladies style bar so I can't actually take it out from the left.
I wobble quite a bit when I take a drink, so if I'm really thirsty it's a good excuse to stop.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I use right hand, but have recently changed to a "back-handed" grip, which favours the seatpost cage.
When I go for the down tube bottle and take it in a conventional grip, it needs a very high elbow, which can be a bit painful; whereas the "back-hand" (spout on the side by the little finger rather than the thumb) seems a more natural position for the arm- and maybe better for balance too.

I saw this done on one of the races on the TV and thought it looked very odd at first, but it works for me anyway. Try it.

Of course I have not tried the seat post cage system yet and that might be easier or not but opens another line of thought... Blimey :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
As I've started cyclying a lot further than I thought would, I appreciate the need to have a bottle of water with me and will be picking one up tomorrow. Novice question coming up, are all the holders the same or is there a design that is better than another? I apologise if the question is dumb :smile:
To start with you could do worse than start with the traditional wire cage, or the plastic version. From poundshop, even. If you have a small compact or MTB frame you might need a 'side cage' as there might not be enough room to remove the bottle from a traditional cage. Google. Also have a look at Wikipedia.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To start with you could do worse than start with the traditional wire cage, or the plastic version. From poundshop, even. If you have a small compact or MTB frame you might need a 'side cage' as there might not be enough room to remove the bottle from a traditional cage. Google. Also have a look at Wikipedia.

Agree, buy cheap! But buy secure, very important! Loose bottles can be dangerous.

RWright

Guru
I faced the which hand to drink with dilemma until I found this:
beerhelmet.jpg

I never wore a helmet before. Now I feel much safer and not nearly as thirsty.

Top Bottom