Taking my bike on a (Scotrail) train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
It's been a long time since I took my bike on a train and this weekend I plan to cycle down towards Ayr. I plan to keep going until I've had enough and armed with my debit card I'll get a train home with the bike.

Is there a particular coach that is marked suitable for bikes? I assume it'll be the one with the space for toilet and folding seats - what is the quickest way to find this when the train approaches the platform.

Thanks in advance.

snorri

Legendary Member
. I plan to keep going until I've had enough and armed with my debit card I'll get a train home with the bike.
You like to live life on the edge? :biggrin:
I would suggest you speak to Scotrail for information regarding the route you wish to use. On some routes booking is compulsory, on other routes Scotrail will not accept bookings and you are left wondering if there will be a space for your bike. If there are no spare cycle spaces on your chosen train, you could find yourself left on the platform.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/93777.aspx

PS There is a white bicycle symbol on the door nearest the bike parking area in the train.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is there a particular coach that is marked suitable for bikes?
There is; it's always either the front coach or the last coach of the train and has a bike symbol on the doors.
No booking required on the Clyde Coast routes, and even if you don't use the allocated cycle space (it's usually full of prams/luggage/people anyway - it has 5 fold down seats) then it's unlikely you will have problems. I use the train frequently and the guards have always been fine with me just leaving my bike in the space at the doors of any coach (you might need to move it from side to side to accommodate doors opening automatically and your bike ending up on the platform).
Actually I prefer NOT using the allocated space as you always get some nobber with an old BSO coming on the train after you and throwing his worthless POS against your Pinarello Dogma and scratching the frame with his pedals!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Something that might be of use to cyclists in the Strathclyde area is a SPT Daytripper ticket.
For a fee of £11.90 for 1 adult (and up to 2 children) you can have unlimited use of trains in the SPT area on any off peak trains (all day Sat/Sun, public hols, after 9am weekdays).
I find it handy for going off in search of new routes when you're undecided as to where you will finish the ride, or general exploration using the bike and train. It's also valid on some ferries (NOT CalMac) like the wee Yoker to Braehead ferry, or Gourock/Kilcreggan. Valid on Glasgow buses and some others too.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There is; it's always either the front coach or the last coach of the train and has a bike symbol on the doors.
No booking required on the Clyde Coast routes, and even if you don't use the allocated cycle space (it's usually full of prams/luggage/people anyway - it has 5 fold down seats) then it's unlikely you will have problems. I use the train frequently and the guards have always been fine with me just leaving my bike in the space at the doors of any coach (you might need to move it from side to side to accommodate doors opening automatically and your bike ending up on the platform).
Actually I prefer NOT using the allocated space as you always get some nobber with an old BSO coming on the train after you and throwing his worthless POS against your Pinarello Dogma and scratching the frame with his pedals!

Are they Class 380 units? I would have expected the space to be in the middle coach.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are they Class 380 units?
If this is a 380 unit, then yes they are :okay:..........

280px-Troon_380105.jpg

But the allocated bike space is definitely always either at the 2nd door from the front or rear of the train (so still in the front or rear carriage). Unless of course they are running two trains tied together in which case there will obviously be two allocated bike spaces, one of which might or might not be in the middle, depending on which way round the trains were when connected.

OP
OP
chr15b

chr15b

Über Member
Thanks for the replies - I'm going to set off on the path from Paisley to Kilbirnie. Then take the road from Highfield to Kilwinning and join the path down by the bypass towards Ayr. I might be getting the train back from Glengarnock depending on my mood. :smile:

Something that might be of use to cyclists in the Strathclyde area is a SPT Daytripper ticket.
For a fee of £11.90 for 1 adult (and up to 2 children) you can have unlimited use of trains in the SPT area on any off peak trains (all day Sat/Sun, public hols, after 9am weekdays).
I find it handy for going off in search of new routes when you're undecided as to where you will finish the ride, or general exploration using the bike and train. It's also valid on some ferries (NOT CalMac) like the wee Yoker to Braehead ferry, or Gourock/Kilcreggan. Valid on Glasgow buses and some others too.
Do SPT have bike rack on their trains yet? When I was last on one they didn't but no one minded you standing with the bike. Outside the toilet was the only space though xx(

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do SPT have bike rack on their trains yet? When I was last on one they didn't but no one minded you standing with the bike. Outside the toilet was the only space though xx(

None have bike racks that I know of.
The older diesel trains on routes like Glasgow/East Kilbride, or Glasgow Central/Edinburgh via Shotts and West Calder have the "hang your front wheel from a hook on the roof" arrangement. The newer electric trains to Ayr, Largs, or Gourock are as stated above with an allocated space consisting of 5 fold down seats. It's fine if you happen to be on a quiet train and get on at the originating station. Otherwise it will be occupied by other bikes, or prams, luggage, and people. Stupid arrangement IMHO; they should have the hooks from the roof in that space, and it would take twice as many bikes.
The trains you are talking about I think are the older electric trains which used to be on the Clyde routes. They're now mainly on the Helensburgh to Edinburgh via Glasgow Queen Strret route. Like you say, beside the toilet is the best option, but again I never had any problem using the space at the doors of any carriage.

gasinayr

Über Member
Scotrail do a leaflet called trail & rail it covers the line between Ayr and Stranraer. It shows cycle routes at the stations in between and has a phone number to call if you breakdown, they will send a van to pick you and bike up and drop you off at nearest station, as long as you have a valid ticket.

None have bike racks that I know of.
The older diesel trains on routes like Glasgow/East Kilbride, or Glasgow Central/Edinburgh via Shotts and West Calder have the "hang your front wheel from a hook on the roof" arrangement. The newer electric trains to Ayr, Largs, or Gourock are as stated above with an allocated space consisting of 5 fold down seats. It's fine if you happen to be on a quiet train and get on at the originating station. Otherwise it will be occupied by other bikes, or prams, luggage, and people. Stupid arrangement IMHO; they should have the hooks from the roof in that space, and it would take twice as many bikes.
The trains you are talking about I think are the older electric trains which used to be on the Clyde routes. They're now mainly on the Helensburgh to Edinburgh via Glasgow Queen Strret route. Like you say, beside the toilet is the best option, but again I never had any problem using the space at the doors of any carriage.
One of those SPT hook type trains appeared on the Fife Circular for some reason about 10 years back. It was the last train on a Sunday night and was correspondingly empty apart from two girls. A young student got on with a hardtail and the guard insisted that he store it on the hooks. He argued that it cost him £50 to get the brakes drained the last time so didn't want to do it again. The guard threw him off

Top Bottom