Taking the tank to Tesco's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
When they first came out, powered by a Jaguar engine, they could out accelerate* out 1000cc Ford Anglia, the inward sloping rear window one, from the traffic lights. IIRC They were re-engined at some point, I wonder if they are still so nippy.
* Our local TA had both the Scorpion and Scimitar. The main difference being the gun fitted.
I think I could still out accelerate a Ford Anglia on my bike. All the ones I drove were limited to 50mph.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
When they first came out, powered by a Jaguar engine, they could out accelerate* out 1000cc Ford Anglia, the inward sloping rear window one, from the traffic lights. IIRC They were re-engined at some point, I wonder if they are still so nippy.
* Our local TA had both the Scorpion and Scimitar. The main difference being the gun fitted.
If you're in the North East then I think your local TA would have been the RHQ of my lot. Petrol CVRT was retired just after I joined so most of my experience was on the dieselised version which had a turbocharged 5.9 litre Cummins. It wasn't as fast (allegedly) but it was more reliable. The biggest problem seemed to be that the higher torque of the engine could destroy the gearbox when thrashed.

byegad

Legendary Member
If you're in the North East then I think your local TA would have been the RHQ of my lot. Petrol CVRT was retired just after I joined so most of my experience was on the dieselised version which had a turbocharged 5.9 litre Cummins. It wasn't as fast (allegedly) but it was more reliable. The biggest problem seemed to be that the higher torque of the engine could destroy the gearbox when thrashed.
Yes, sitting on my BSA Bantam (175cc, you know the not so slow one!*) at the lights, next to one. I knew they'd leave me for dead up to about 45mph. That was Middlesbrough in the 1960s.

*Flogged to death it would just about top 70mph, on a good day, and may not start to nip up if you dropped back to 55 mph soon. On a long run** it was best to keep below 55 mph.
** I'd get to York, Scarborough and even on one occasion Louth in Lincolnshire for the Lindsay Safer Riders competition, where I won a couple of 'pots'.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I seem to recall watching a documentary about the Vietnam War, they said the early versions of the M16 were responsible for more U.S Military deaths as the things kept jamming, just as the troops needed them most.
After one engagement they found Vietcong who had been shot with the cleaning rod ad they found dead GIs with the cleaning rod still in the barrel of their rifles.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That's why they took them to the Falklands - nothing else would get over the boggy land.

That's why they took them to the Falklands - nothing else would get over the boggy land.
Apart from helicopters. (And the penguins.)

Badger_Boom

Über Member
At less than 5psi ground pressure it's actually lower that quite a few humans, let alone cars.
Apparently this used to be a popular party trick.

484193AB-2141-47EC-AD76-3FDD42502B7B.jpeg

To be fair, none of those are guns.

This is a gun

View attachment 584193
many years ago someone I worked with went on a tour when a frigate was moored in Liverpool
He asked the Captain how accurate the gun was.
"where do you live??"
"Southport"
"Give me the street and number and I'll put a shell through your front window"

probably an exaggeration

but not by as much as you might think

Top Bottom