Taking up jogging - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I've decided to start up jogging, now that I have an active dog who can keep up!!. ;)

I also need to lose a good 1 - 2 stone (which I put back on during the last 2 years!). Last time I did any jogging/running, I kept getting shin splints. I've also got dead pan flat feet which makes buying shoes fairly expensive.

Any beginners advice would be appreciated. I've already started the 'run between 2 lamp posts then walk between the next 2'.

Bigtwin

Go to a proper running shop and get them to chose your shoes for you.

Have a plan and keep a log - runner's world etc have them, and there are a million on the web.

Over all, little and often. No point in doing a killing 15 miler once a week and taking 6 days to recover.

Definetly find a decent plan, one that matches your ambitions and then stick to it no matter the weather or how you feel. I find running much harder than cycling, it needs more of a build up, needs me to be more methodical and it requires more patience. I seemed to go nowhere with it until I looked for a training plan and stuck to it.

Also when you don't feel like going out, just think no further than each little task i.e. getting changed, stretching, put shoes on and by the time you've got to there, you're ready to go, with no more couldn't be bothered thoughts. You can tell by this, I'm not a natural runner.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Set a target ie 20 miles a week then gradually increase the mileage and do some speed repetitions. It helps to join a running club for motivation and also to have a race and a target time to aim for. If you can run off road ie around parks or forest you won't get the wear and tear on your joints.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Flat feet tend to lead to injury if you do lots of running. You can buy shoes for over-pronators at good sports shops such as Sweatshop, or you can get orthotics from a podiatrist. I used to get lots of knee problems, until I got some orthotics, which have made me prone to twisted ankle problems instead. There are runners who just say you need to learn how to run properly.

gekko

Hi snapper. I also took up jogging quite recently as I'd like to lose a stone. I actually started by joining a fitness bootcamp in my local park. I'd been meaning to jog for ages but couldn't get motivated so this got me started. I'm still doing the bootcamp but it's 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off and so I jog during the weeks inbetween. The bootcamp means I'm motivated to go jogging as I don't want to be the one at the back of the group at the next session, which I will be if I don't train inbetween!

If you have an iPhone, I recommend downloading a GPS app that tracks your route, speed and distance. Either that or buy one of the many gadgets available from running shops. I use RunKeeper and you can upload your stats to the website and compare your sessions. It will also help you to push yourself a little bit further each time. As someone who has always found running boring, having a bit of gadgetry involved makes it more interesting.

Also, on that note, you need to choose an interesting route. At bootcamp, we often do laps of a field in the park, which gets boring. On my own jogs, I go to a different park where there's a small lake to jog around. Because it's a lovely spot, I want to go more than if I was just running on roads. You then need to set yourself a goal. The first time I jogged, I just did what I felt I could and tracked the distance. My goal is to run 5K without stopping and I mapped out with RunKeeper that if I jogged from my house to the park and round the lake 4 times and then back home, that should be around 5K. Currently, I can manage twice around the lake. So, you can see that having goals, mixing up the types of fitness and tracking your run helps a lot whereas if you just go and run you'll soon get bored. I also plan to work out other 5K routes (and hopefully longer at some point) so I don't get bored of the same run. We have a larger lake in the main park so will be mapping that out soon.

With regard to shoes, I cannot stress enough the importance of good running shoes. Go to a proper running shop and discuss your needs. £80 is about average for running shoes but they can go over £100 depending on your requirements. When I joined bootcamp I ran in my crappy Adidas trainers I'd bought for the gym (which I never went to) years ago. The result - two knackered knees and wearing a bandage on one of them. Your muscles and joints will ache to start with and your knees do need time to build up strength. A person's weight will affect this as well. My feet tend to collapse inwards so I now have trainers with quite a lot of support on the inside - much better.

Have fun though, running outside is great and so much better than paying large amounts of money to rip-off gyms who exploit the fact that most people won't go after a few months. Of course, as this is a cycling forum you already know that though!

Don't overdo things. Remember that rest is important. Maybe try for 4 days a week and build it up gradually. The internet will have plans for training for stuff like a 10K. See how long they take to do, add a couple of weeks and then see if you can find an event for around that date. It'll give you a target to aim for and a benchmark for future improvements.
If ever you don't feel like it, get your gear on and just go out for 10 minutes to see how you do - then you'll end up doing a full session.
Listen to your body though, and don't worry about taking the odd un-planned break.
If the schedule says rest, then rest.
Look at the likes of mapmyrun.com or fetcheveryone.com to search for routes in your area, and try the runnersworld.co.uk forum for advice and support.

Enjoy it - choose your routes so that you are running in a place you'd like to be, make sure your kit is fit for purpose and comfortable.

Persevere too.

AWG

I'd say to anyone totally unaccustomed to jogging to do a few weeks "power walking" first (just walk to maximum strength for 30 mins or so a session). Wear the shoes you are proposing to eventually jog in. You'll be surprised just how much sweat will be under your baseball cap or woolly hat in winter with fast walking when you've done it! Then try the jogging. Don't imagine you are being "watched" or have to "perform". If you need to stop then stop. As even a surface as possible, feet pointing as straight forward as you can, relax your hands, keep your head level, just a slight lean forward etc. It should all come together. Did for me anyhow. Some days you feel it's effortless, other days you have to work hard at it. I've tried jogging and cycling sessions both on the same day and for me one seems counter productive to the other. I can do weights / Bullworker the same day as either though (after).

Top Bottom